System allowing two groups to schedule the same rooms for the same date/time

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jbb89777

System allowing two groups to schedule the same rooms for the same date/time

Post by jbb89777 »

I was just notified about and verified my dreaded fear with the calendar...double-booking. When I look at my November 20, 2012 calendar this is what I see for our stake center at 7:00 pm:
1) EL YM Venturing has scheduled the stake center's kitchen, cultural hall and room 108 on a repeating event.
2) O2 Cub Scouts has scheduled the stake center's room 108, 117, and 107 as a repeating event
3) O2 YM/YW Combined has scheduled the stake center's kitchen and cultural hall as a repeating event

(I have screen shots of all of these if you need to see them.)

The only reason why this has come to my attention was because I was working on some uniformity issues with the calendar editor who had entered event #1 above. I had noticed on some of his entries that he had used EL for his ward abbreviation instead of the standard EI in the event titles. I asked him to make the necessary changes and he was trying to oblige.

That is when he began having the trouble. Whenever he tried to change the title and click on "Update Event" the computer would say that he could not update the event because of the other conflicting events in those rooms for that date and time (#2 & #3 above). This was simply the standard error message that came up. I checked his entry to make sure he had actually selected the rooms and locations (initially) and everything was perfect. Why did the system allow two groups to schedule the cultural hall and kitchen on the same night? Why did the system allow two groups to schedule Room 108 on the same night?

This was not an isolated issue. As the brother tried to fix more of his titles, he noticed the same thing happening on these 2012 dates as well:
Sept 18th, Oct 16th, Nov 6th, Nov 13th, Dec 11th.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

When were those items originaly scheduled? I know there was a bug that allowed editors who were also building schedulers to double-book a room.

I'm also assuming that all of these items are events and not reservations as you can have a reservation that conflict with an actual event.

The fact that you can't re-save the event suggests that perhaps the bug that allowed it has been fixed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbb89777

Post by jbb89777 »

None of the people involved with these events arebuilding schedulers.All of these events have been entered in the month of February. They wereentered as events and NOT reservations (we have discontinued use of thebuilding scheduler reservations calendar functions completely and leave it upto individual calendar editors to schedule the rooms they need for their eventson their own calendars). Yes, I agree that the bug might have been worked outand that is why he cannot update any of his events. My fear is that this willoccur again and again and we will have two calendar editors unknowinglyscheduling the same rooms for the same date/time and the system will allow bothto schedule the rooms. Because this has occurred on so many dates (not a singlyanomaly) I am even more concerned. Other than trying to monitor every singleevent all year long that is scheduled at our three buildings by viewing allevents in the WEEK view of the calendar (which isn't practical), I have no workaround. Any suggestions?
jbb89777

Post by jbb89777 »

Ugg. Sorry about the crazy spacing above. Another glitch.

Return to “Calendar”