Building scheduler can't see other wards calendars in an event

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
headybr

Re: Building scheduler can't see other wards calendars in an

Post by headybr »

A very excellent thread. I found a couple of takeaways from it:

1. Make sure your "events" include a building "reservation". You can have an event without a reservation (nice feature).

2. Don't hang on to the "old way" of doing things and go through the building scheduler for ward or stake reservations/events. You have the ability to create your own reservations, use it. Use the building scheduler to manage conflicts as they arise.

3. Create a "Private Event" calendar for the building scheduler to use for ward members private events. Consider giving auxiliaries access to this calendar.

The only question I didn't see adequately answered is that my leadership would like to, at a glance, see what is scheduled in the building. Where a building can have as many as three or four wards in it, it can be frustrating to schedule a room when you can't (at a glance) see what the other wards have scheduled too.

With the recent updates the ability to see who has the room reserved is present. When you try to reserve the location, the calendaring tool will tell you who has the room scheduled, for what times, and gives contact information. All very important and is a partial solution to the feature being asked for, which is to (at a glance) see which rooms are scheduled on any given day for a location when the location is shared by two or more wards.

So, is it possible to see at a glance if the location is reserved outside of your ward? In recent leadership training I gave that was the number one feature asked for. Perhaps, it could be a toggled feature that is only on when needed to view the entire location's schedule? Otherwise, we would have a clutter problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

headybr wrote:"reservation"
One caution - reservation was the old terminology for what is now called a restriction. I believe you're using it in the sense of blocking off the building for a specific event. To avoid confusion, we (in the forum) typically use "book", as in to "book the room".

headybr wrote:So, is it possible to see at a glance if the location is reserved outside of your ward? In recent leadership training I gave that was the number one feature asked for.
If you switch to week-view, you see then select a location and see all "bookings" and restrictions placed on that building. You may want to uncheck your calendars to clean up the display. The one downside is you have to look at the details of each item to see what room(s) are involved.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
headybr

Post by headybr »

I can click on week view, uncheck all my calendars and locations, then check the one location I want to see, but I don't see the other wards bookings in the same building.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

headybr wrote:but I don't see the other wards bookings in the same building.
They may be booking a duplicate building, but most likely they are not be using the calendar, or at least not booking the building for thier events.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ivan72

Ward/personal events showing up on stake calendar?

Post by ivan72 »

I'm not sure I understand a solution to this problem yet...

People are scheduling ward and personal events in a multi-ward building in our stake. These events are scheduled as "stake" events so that everyone in the building will know. But I'm in a completely separate building and ward, and we'd rather not have these calendar items "clogging" our ward (and stake) calendar. I understand their purpose in doing this, but can there be a better way?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Ward/personal events showing up on stake calendar?

Post by russellhltn »

ivan72 wrote:People are scheduling ward and personal events in a multi-ward building in our stake. These events are scheduled as "stake" events so that everyone in the building will know.
This is done because people don't understand how the system works.

First: Each ward is responsible for adding their own events. The old model of one person scheduling all events is dead. That method came out of the old paper technology where only one person could have possession of THE calendar for the building. With the Internet, everyone has access.

Second: there is a belief that "if I can't see it, then I could create an event that conflicts with someone else's." That's not true either. As long as the locations are properly set up and everyone uses the "location" field in creating their events, the system will not allow conflicts. It is possible to see all events scheduled for a building by switching to "week" view and selecting the facility on the left side.

In some isolated cases, it may be necessary to create stake calendars for ward events - for example wards that have combined their youth activities. The only other choice there is to record the events in both ward calendars, but that requires effort for both wards in keeping them in sync.

Good luck in convincing leaders to change the way they work.

WoodburyM

Post by WoodburyM »

I just want to echo the need for an at-a-glance look at resource availability in the building.
The only question I didn't see adequately answered is that my leadership would like to, at a glance, see what is scheduled in the building. Where a building can have as many as three or four wards in it, it can be frustrating to schedule a room when you can't (at a glance) see what the other wards have scheduled too.
We are a YSA stake with EIGHT wards sharing the same building, and this leads to a lot of frustration, blindly scheduling activities over and over only to find that there is a conflict.

Return to “Calendar”