The Calendar Apparently has allowed a Scheduling Conflict.

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

scote wrote:Everything is not perfect. In fact, things are very very bad. Based on tests today, I can create two events using the same room at the same time as long as the two events are on top of an existing reservation. I believe that is is only possible because I am a building scheduler. The worst part is that with three wards in the building, and the basic members not scheduling events, it is the nine bishopric members (schedulers all) who create events. Without extensive training they will now create multiple events using the same rooms and equipment at the same times. This weirdness is clearly not going to be in the online help screens. It is a disaster. The system should be automatic and stop the second event from using the same room at the same time. The system has to be fixed! Who do I call? What do we do?
I said "From what I can tell, everything is working perfectly." It's a little difficult to figure out what is going on when you give long posts that are short on details.

However, from what I can tell from your latest post, it does seem likely that you are being afflicted by the one bug in this area that I mentioned much earlier in this thread, and you acknowledged as a possibility:
scote wrote:The particular bug that did allow conflicting events for building schedulers who scheduled events on top of reservations is a possibility. There is an all day reservation for the day and both events were posted by schedulers.

If indeed that is the problem, then there are different solutions:
  • Ask the developers to fix the bug. I did this way back when I first analyzed the problem. Apparently they fixed some aspect of it in 2.0.5, but much of the problem still remains. It will be a high priority to be fixed, either in the upcoming 2.0.6, or in 2.1. But since we don't know the date of a fix, this option doesn't address your problem right now.
  • Stop using reservations -- just schedule events. Normally I wouldn't recommend this, but you seem to have lots of building schedulers doing your scheduling, and reservations don't do anything to affect their ability to schedule events, so you might not even notice if your reservations were removed.
  • Stop having building schedulers schedule events. This can be accomplished by greatly reducing the number of schedulers -- generally it works best to have just one (perhaps 2) per building. Then have those building schedulers quit scheduling events. Leave the work of scheduling events to calendar editors. That's really the way the new system is designed. There are plenty of benefits for this kind of philosophy.
I agree that the bug should be fixed, and it is indeed unfortunate, but while we're waiting for it to be fixed, you might consider one of those last two options.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TinMan wrote:But I may not have a complete understanding of your difficulties. It just raised one eyebrow when you said all the bishopric members are "schedulers." For me the term "Building Scheduler" is confusing as far as the Church uses it. I think a more exact title, like "Building Schedule Coordinator" or something like that would be helpful. Something that indicates a single person for each building. There are now a lot of people in the ward who can schedule events in the building by virtue of their callings in the MLS system. But they are not all "Building Schedulers," they are "people who can schedule the building."

If all the bishopric members in the three wards are truly designated in the system as "Building Schedulers," I can see your frustration.

Indeed. If I'm not mistaken, only the stake default admins can designate Building Scheduler rights. Perhaps someone needs to discuss the situation with them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:If I'm not mistaken, only the stake default admins can designate Building Scheduler rights. Perhaps someone needs to discuss the situation with them.

Any stake administrator can designate people to be Building Schedulers (they don't have to be default admins). But that's still a small group.

In any case, the stake needs to take the lead in the approach used by the stake, wards, and building schedulers for assigning rights and doing scheduling. Wards will always have some flexibility, but where buildings are shared among wards, there does need to be some consistency in the approach used.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Return to “Calendar”