Solutions or ideas on scheduling weddings, family parties or non church activities

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
junyur

Post by junyur »

RussellHltn wrote:I see this is a "doesn't really matter". At the end of the day, the system will not allow events to double-book rooms regardless of what calendar they're on. Everyone can see what is scheduled for a location by switching to week view and checking the box for the location. While a master "private events" calendar may have some merit, the important thing is that it's on some calendar as an event.

That is incorrect. All calendars you are subscribed to under Settings > Subscriptions are synced to your phone. The problem, (that I hope will be fixed in a future release) is that you can't view a calendar on the website unless you are subscribed to it. So you'll be constantly subscribing (so you can view it)/unsubscribing (so it doesn't go to your phone) to the private events calendar until some few feature fixes this.

Good to know, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

RussellHltn wrote:If that's the case, that's fine. I work at the stake level where that's rarely the case.

While I agree that we shouldn't be making a calendar for just one event for the year, I'd be careful about being too "economical". To me the real power of the new system is to allow the members to sync the calendar to their smartphones/personal calendars. I think that will improve attendance to church activities if they see it there when they go to plan things. If you put too much "junk" on it, they won't use it. And your attendance will suffer (from what it could be).
Sorry Russell. That made me laugh out loud. We must deal with completely different demographics. Most people in my ward would not consider a funeral of a ward member who has lived in the ward 40 years, or the wedding of a young woman who has lived in the ward since she was born, "junk."

I've been bishop for 17 months and had 19 funerals. Perhaps in another 20 years when us old geezers all die, and we all download the latest lessons on our smart phones, the new calendaring system will work just fine for our ward. In the mean time, most of my ward member sync the printed calender we deliver every month with the fast offerings, with the side of their fridge, using a big magnet. Believe it or not, there are still a few of us around.

Hey. Perhaps in twenty years the ward members will be able to catch a streaming video of my funeral on their I Pads. That is of course if they can find the time and date on their smart phones from a private calendar. :)

Sometime reading this forum makes me feel ancient.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:Sorry Russell. That made me laugh out loud. We must deal with completely different demographics. Most people in my ward would not consider a funeral of a ward member who has lived in the ward 40 years, or the wedding of a young woman who has lived in the ward since she was born, "junk."

Please read posts more carefully before you laugh. You were laughing at something that wasn't written at all.

The post you responded to said two things:
  • The response on the topic of funerals and weddings simply said that Russell worked at the stake level where he didn't see those things scheduled on stake calendars. There was no use of the word "junk" in this context -- just an entirely accurate observation that such events are almost always scheduled at the ward level. That's definitely been my experience, and I'm pretty sure it's been yours as well.
  • The part that used the word "junk" was in response to your exact words that suggested that "private family parties" could be put on a "Ward Events" calendar. There was absolutely no connection to funerals or weddings of ward members in that response. It was talking exclusively about a suggestion to put events that are clearly not ward events on the "Ward Events" calendar, which I would agree is "junk" in the context of events that the ward is interested in.
TinMan wrote:Sometime reading this forum makes me feel ancient.

Your point was certainly reasonable on its own, but did not come from reading this forum (or at least not reading what was actually written here).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Funerals are something of potential interest to the entire ward or stake and could easily be on the regular calendar. Where I'm from you don't attend a wedding or a party unless you are invited (or your name is smith :)) and I don't think those should be on a public calendar, but YMMV.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

There is so much information on this topic I have not had time to read it all -- finalizing and setting up our new calendar has taken way too much time. But I guess I still need to do more reading and testing.

As I see it there are three primary functions of the reservations tab -- what I call "complete blocks" (location unavailable) to prevent anyone from scheduling the building for Monday nights for example, "event blocks" (location unavailable) for weddings and such, and "reservations" (assigned to a unit). I think the "complete blocks" and "reservations" function still has a purpose; it sounds to me like the discussion here is regarding " event blocks".

Here has been my experience. I am a stake administrator and temporary scheduler.

I agree that a separate calendar is probably best for event blocks, as yes I can schedule a block on top of a regular calendar event. I am glad I can do this as I have had the need to schedule complete blocks and/or reservations on top of existing events.

I can NOT schedule blocks or reservations on top of each other; if I could schedule two reservations on top of each other it would solve a lot of my problems!

I can NOT schedule a calendar event on top of a reservation.

I HAVE been able to schedule two events on our stake calendar on top of each other! (No blocks/reservations involved.) Yes they are using the exact same room. I think I usually can't do this, but it let me once. There were existing events that initially didn't overlap but were later edited.

One thing I hate is when I schedule an event it warns me of all the blocks in all the buildings. If I've chose a location it should only be looking at that location (and of course including events without locations).
Craig
South Jordan, UT
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

craiggsmith wrote:As I see it there are three primary functions of the reservations tab -- what I call "complete blocks" (location unavailable) to prevent anyone from scheduling the building for Monday nights for example, "event blocks" (location unavailable) for weddings and such, and "reservations" (assigned to a unit). I think the "complete blocks" and "reservations" function still has a purpose; it sounds to me like the discussion here is regarding " event blocks".

I'm not sure why you use these nonstandard terms, and I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by them.

The only way to create what I might call a "complete block" is to create an event, since that is the only way to book a location in a way that could accurately be described as "complete." I think you might be referring to a "Blocked Reservation," but that is not "complete," since any building scheduler can schedule an event on top of it.

What you call an "event block" sounds to me like it's just an event that books a resource; I'm not sure why you would use that term, since it combines the term "event" (which clearly applies to events) with the term "block" (which applies only to reservations).
craiggsmith wrote:I can NOT schedule blocks or reservations on top of each other; if I could schedule two reservations on top of each other it would solve a lot of my problems!

Although I can imagine a use case where reservations on top of reservations might be useful, I think the risks of such a feature far outweigh the benefits. As soon as you allow that, it becomes possible for a building scheduler to unintentionally create conflicting reservations. If those reservations are for different wards, then you now have two wards who think they own the same resource at the same time -- that would be bad, and would void the whole purpose of reservations assigned to a unit.
craiggsmith wrote:I can NOT schedule a calendar event on top of a reservation.

I don't understand how that could be the case. Any calendar editor in the assigned unit can schedule an event on top of a reservation. And a building scheduler (which you said you are at this point) can schedule an event on top of any reservation for his building, as long as he is a calendar editor (and you said you are a stake administrator and thus a stake calendar editor).
craiggsmith wrote:I HAVE been able to schedule two events on our stake calendar on top of each other! (No blocks/reservations involved.) Yes they are using the exact same room. I think I usually can't do this, but it let me once. There were existing events that initially didn't overlap but were later edited.

I've never seen this, except in the case of a bug (since fixed) involving a reservation and two events created by a building scheduler.
craiggsmith wrote:One thing I hate is when I schedule an event it warns me of all the blocks in all the buildings. If I've chose a location it should only be looking at that location (and of course including events without locations).

I completely agree with this. When the system casts too broad a net for reporting conflicts, it creates a list that is so long that it becomes less useful -- I completely ignore long lists, but I look at a list of 2-3 possible conflicts.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TinMan wrote:Sorry Russell. That made me laugh out loud. We must deal with completely different demographics. Most people in my ward would not consider a funeral of a ward member who has lived in the ward 40 years, or the wedding of a young woman who has lived in the ward since she was born, "junk."

Yes, I think we are. I'm assisting a building scheduler for the stake center, which has 3 wards and frequently has events for members of the other 6 wards in the stake. Some of these weddings are of members that haven't been the most active. Perhaps weddings and funerals isnt't he best examples, but we also get requests for graduation parties, birthday parties and even family reunions.

As craigsmith points out, it may not be a good idea to put it on the ward calendar unless the whole ward is invited.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

aebrown wrote:I'm not sure why you use these nonstandard terms, and I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by them.
I used them because I was not aware of standard terms to describe the different types of Reservations. But I guess this just gives credibility to my theory that many problems are probably caused simply by poor communication. At any rate, it looks like there is another thread addressing this topic.
aebrown wrote:If those reservations are for different wards, then you now have two wards who think they own the same resource at the same time.
Actually that's the exact thing we want to do -- reserve a building for multiple wards. From that point it's first come first served.
aebrown wrote:When the system casts too broad a net for reporting conflicts, it creates a list that is so long that it becomes less useful -- I completely ignore long lists, but I look at a list of 2-3 possible conflicts.
Exactly.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

craiggsmith wrote:Actually that's the exact thing we want to do -- reserve a building for multiple wards. From that point it's first come first served.

You may want to review which wards are actually assigned to the building (I use the term "assigned" here in the strict Calendar sense -- under Settings > Locations a stake administrator can specify which units are assigned to a building). Although there can be helpful reasons to assign other wards to a building beyond the wards that meet in that building, if you restrict the assignments to only those wards that meet there, you will have no need to create a multi-ward reservation (which can't be done now anyway, but you would like to see).
dnickolson

Re: Solutions or ideas on scheduling weddings, family parties or non church activities

Post by dnickolson »

yes I fee very "unsupported" in my calling by those in the church who are in tech development by all the problems years after the "new" website was forced onboard. I am the stake website administrator as well as the stake center building scheduler. I have tried to get this problem rectified for over a year now, the stake clerk as removed my name in calling and put it back in as recommended to see if that would solve the problem. No luck and by the time you get a response it is weeks and to tell you the truth working a very demanding full time job and having to work around one solution after another after another - I just don't have the time for this. If I make a separate building calendar for "reserved" items on the building that are not on the ward or stake calendar then that item on the separate building calendar do not show a reserve and if (say) the YM president schedules a social in the building online for a friday evening it shows the building is booked for that event - NOT the event I have on the separate building schedule.
signed - beyond frustrated now, too long overdue.

Return to “Calendar”