Stake Center Pavilion Scheduling

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Initially one of my main concerns was not reserving the pavilion when they reserved the entire building, but rarely is the entire building reserved and more often they need both the kitchen and pavilion, which is not convenient if they are separate locations. But with the family history center that's not an issue and I think a separate location does make more sense.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Denchris

Post by Denchris »

I am trying to work through the issues of a Stake Pavilion of sorts. It is setup as a separate location in my stake.

The issues I have at the moment are:

1. How to ward members (in the entire stake) have the ability to schedule personal family type events at the location? What calendar do they use to schedule the event, as it is not a ward function?

2. How do outside organizations and stakes schedule such an event? The pavilion in our stake is sometimes used by other stakes in our area.

3. Because I did not have an answer for question 1, I scheduled events directly on the Reservations calendar for members. These events appear to be grayed out (light gray color). I had someone schedule an event over the top of one of my scheduled events, so it does not appear conflict resolution is working properly. Is there some type of preferences that needs to be set to "do not allow conflicts"?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

denchris wrote:1. How to ward members (in the entire stake) have the ability to schedule personal family type events at the location? What calendar do they use to schedule the event, as it is not a ward function?
The only way to do that is to add every single member of the stake as a calender editor. Not practical.
denchris wrote:2. How do outside organizations and stakes schedule such an event? The pavilion in our stake is sometimes used by other stakes in our area.
I'd suggest they work though a building scheduler.
denchris wrote:3. Because I did not have an answer for question 1, I scheduled events directly on the Reservations calendar for members. These events appear to be grayed out (light gray color). I had someone schedule an event over the top of one of my scheduled events, so it does not appear conflict resolution is working properly. Is there some type of preferences that needs to be set to "do not allow conflicts"?

That's not what Reservations were intended for and are not reliable when used that way. Anyone with Building Scheduler rights to that location can override the reservation. (Any default admin in the stake can promote themselves to be a building scheduler.) Also, you can only reserve it for either "blocked" or for a unit. If you reserve it for a unit, then any organization that unit can schedule an event for the same time. For this reason, I highly recommend you select a calendar and schedule events when you want to book the location.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

denchris wrote:1. How to ward members (in the entire stake) have the ability to schedule personal family type events at the location? What calendar do they use to schedule the event, as it is not a ward function?
Scheduling personal events at any location is problematic. Several suggestions have been made in other threads. I like the option of the building scheduler for the location to create a calendar, titled appropriately ("Family & Private Events"?), in which the building scheduler is the only editor. Now as an editor the building scheduler can create events for these personal family events. Of course those wanting to schedule an event must contact the building scheduler for the location to have the event created. There has been discussions in other threads whether such a calendar should be private. I think that for this particular location it should remain public so others can view the scheduled events.

This solution uses the single point of contact method for the most part. To increase the number of people who can schedule events, additional editors by calling can be added.

The problem with a building scheduler that is also a calendar editor is that the building scheduler can unintentionally double book. They can create an event on top of a reservation and a reservation on top of an event. The building scheduler would have to be especially aware of this issue and take care not to double book. Also any stake administrator could give themselves building scheduler rights and there would be compound issues for double booking.
denchris wrote:2. How do outside organizations and stakes schedule such an event? The pavilion in our stake is sometimes used by other stakes in our area.
Using the solution for question one, the other stakes can contact the building scheduler for the location or editors for the calendar. The other stakes would have to be notified who these individuals are.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:There has been discussions in other thread whether such a calendar should be private. I think that for this particular location it should remain public so others can view the scheduled events.
It's still visable in week view, even if the calendar is private.

Another advantage to having everything go though someone like the building scheduler is to insure that any local policies are followed, such as appropriate activities, cleanup, signing wavers, etc.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:It's still visable in week view, even if the calendar is private.
Yes. But the details would be private.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Calendar”