Calendar for Wedding Receptions, Family, and other activities.

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
edparker

Calendar for Wedding Receptions, Family, and other activities.

Post by edparker »

The issue of weddings and other family events not tied to a particular ward is something I am having difficulty with. Is there a way to have a calendar in each ward that does not have the rights to schedule an event on time reserved for the ward? In other words can only schedule non-reserved times?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

A calendar has to be tied to a unit, be it ward or stake.

My only suggestion is to funnel the requests to a building scheduler who hopefully knows what times are and are not allowed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

edparker wrote:The issue of weddings and other family events not tied to a particular ward is something I am having difficulty with. Is there a way to have a calendar in each ward that does not have the rights to schedule an event on time reserved for the ward? In other words can only schedule non-reserved times?
That's an interesting suggestion. It sounds like you're thinking that one calendar would have a lot more editors than the standard list of editors, who could be enabled to schedule events only for times that the normal calendar editors (auxiliary leaders, etc.) have not already scheduled.

But I think that for the distributed scheduling system to work, there has to be trust in the calendar editors to make good choices in the events they place on the calendar. And there is no guarantee that calendar editors such as you propose would not just schedule an event far into the future when the normal calendar editors have not yet created an event. I would doubt that weddings and other family events are so common that such a system would be workable and justify the complexity of administration.

The bottom line is that no calendar system can work entirely on a first-come, first-served basis. There can be technical restrictions (which the new Calendar sets up pretty well), policy restrictions (which most stakes and wards have), and then you still need a conflict resolution system (which is major role of the Building Scheduler) because neither technical nor policy restrictions will lead to all events being scheduled with the proper priority at the proper time.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”