My fix to sync LDS Calendar to Google Calendar - Add URL now works

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
alexd

My fix to sync LDS Calendar to Google Calendar - Add URL now works

Post by alexd »

When attempting to sync the new LDS Calendar 2.0 to my Google calendar using these steps I got the same error as others "We could not parse the calendar at the url requested".

I used this thread to troubleshoot. I used the validator suggested and eventually found the detailed problems over a couple of hours of debugging.

A better validator is here and its faster. When it encounters an error it will indicate the problematic line. I could have resolved these errors in minutes compared with using the other debugger.

There were five events in our calendar that had offending details. Each of the errors were in the DESCRIPTION field of the event. By re-typing in the description details manually on the new calendar the entire calendar passed validation and subsequently could be synced without issue.

We imported the ical details into a binary editor and could see each of the five errors turned out to be a "0D" in the description field. When we removed the lone "0D", that was in the middle of the description field, then pasted the details into the validator, the calendar would then pass validation.

We are not sure how the lone "0D" got there in the first place. It could be a bug with how the new calendar inserts new events, or one of our members, when putting in the description text, typed the details in a word processing application and then cut and paste them over to the new calendar entry.

However they got there, our conclusion is that if any text in the new calendar includes a lone "0D" then the calendar will not be able to be synced up with Google or perhaps other calendars.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

alexd wrote:A better validator is here and its faster. When it encounters an error it will indicate the problematic line. I could have resolved these errors in minutes compared with using the other debugger.

Thanks for letting us know about that other iCal validator. I did a quick test, and indeed, its feedback is much more helpful.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”