Modified events not updated

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Modified events not updated

Post by russellhltn »

lleach4 wrote:So the calendars were communicating about the event and recognized it as the same one even though they showed it on different dates.
There's an event ID that's part of the iCal. I'm not sure how deletes are handled - if it's still part of the iCal but with a status of "delete" or if it's up to the receiver to scrub everything that came from a prior iCal but not part of the current one.

I assume you're checking your Calendar via a browser. Any chance this could be a browser caching issue?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lleach4

Post by lleach4 »

I am checking my calendar with a couple of different apps and on the browser. The cache isn't the problem because none of them are updated.

There was another instance today that had nothing to do with me as I can only post stake events. We had a ward picnic scheduled for today but someone in the ward moved it to next week to coincide with our monthly open houses at the buildings. The event shows up as next week on lds.org but my google calendar has not updated. I noticed this earlier in the week but was waiting to see if anything would happen with it. I know other members in the ward are having the problem because someone posted on the ward facebook page asking if the picnic was still today.

If I am the only one reporting this, I wonder if there is a problem with just our stake. That seems unlikely. It seems more likely that people just aren't using the calendar very much and/or aren't reporting problems. I do think that being very proactive with the calendar is highlighting the problem, as I mentioned before.
idefaye

Post by idefaye »

We are having the same issue in our stake. Mostly it seems it happens with repeated events when the time is modified, the google calendar does not sync properly. It seems that from one account to another the sync is different. Some will get events updated, and others won't.
Looking at the iCal, it seems the event is updated, but google does not pick it up.

Hope this will be solved.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

idefaye wrote:Looking at the iCal, it seems the event is updated, but google does not pick it up.
Unless there is something more subtle going on, it would appear to be a problem with Google. You might try putting the file though a iCal validator first, but I'd suggest reporting it to Google. There's not much the church can do about a bug on Google's end.

If you can figure out what triggers the bug, it would help them track it down. Are you changing something else along with the time and Google is only picking up one of the changes?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
richardgiles

Post by richardgiles »

Is the issue related to the problem I am having as summarised by another user in another topic "Google calendar sync issue"?
"I'm trying to one-way sync my ward calendar to my Google calendar. It was working well last week, but suddenly it was not refreshing when calendar events changed. So I deleted that calendar sync from my Google calendar and requested a fresh url from the lds.org calendar site. When I tried to sync with the new url, I received the following error message: Could not fetch the url because robots.txt prevents us from crawling the url."
Would the "robot.txt" (what that may be) also be preventing updates of existing items appearing in google calendars while allowing new items? Has there been any recent changes in the robot.txt used on the church website?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think there's two different problems going on. The OP to this thread said that some events were not updating, but if he deleted the event and re-created it, it worked. In the Google Calendar Sync Issue thread, updating is completely broken.

idefaye

Post by idefaye »

Today, trying again to delete the calendar url to add it again I ended up with the problem mentioned by richardgiles. So there is now no more way for me to test any further the current issue until this other one is resolved.
winnj100

Post by winnj100 »

There seems to be a problem with modifying an event (continuing mostly) since the new "You Are Changing A Repeating Event screen was implemented" The text for the options have changed - the options are the same. "Only this event; Entire Series; All Following; Cancel Changes." When I select "only this event" I am getting the error message: "We were unable to process your request due to invalid data. Please check all fields and try again."
Remember when this happened before, it had to do with the system not recognizing the original calendar. I tried re-selecting the calendar and that didn't help. Actually nothing helps! I just have to cancel changes to get it to close. Thanks for your help!!! Judy
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

winnj100 wrote:There seems to be a problem with modifying an event (continuing mostly) since the new "You Are Changing A Repeating Event screen was implemented"
There is a known problem with editing. The developers are working on that.

winnj100

Post by winnj100 »

Thank you so much!! Judy

Return to “Calendar”