Finger Friendly Scripture App for Windows Mobile?

Discussions around Mobile Development
nerdherd-p40

Finger Friendly Scripture App for Windows Mobile?

Post by nerdherd-p40 »

I've been looking high and low trying to find a scripture reader for Windows Mobile that doesn't have tiny buttons that require the use of a stylus and I haven't had ANY luck. I would like something that supports finger scrolling (flick scrolling, kinetic scrolling, whatever). Does anyone know of any programs out there like that? Or any projects in the works? Anything at all???

Thanks everyone!
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

nerdherd wrote:I've been looking high and low trying to find a scripture reader for Windows Mobile that doesn't have tiny buttons that require the use of a stylus and I haven't had ANY luck. I would like something that supports finger scrolling (flick scrolling, kinetic scrolling, whatever). Does anyone know of any programs out there like that? Or any projects in the works? Anything at all???

Thanks everyone!
Yes I would love to find any .NET controls that could do that.

Another idea would be to use PointUI's c#-like scripting language and see if that would do it by creating your own application.

Otherwise we will have to wait until the church does it after their iPhone development.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

dkjorgi wrote:Yes I would love to find any .NET controls that could do that.

Another idea would be to use PointUI's c#-like scripting language and see if that would do it by creating your own application.

Otherwise we will have to wait until the church does it after their iPhone development.
I'd be willing to work on a .NET mobile app. I have a ton of professional .NET experience, but not much with the mobile frameworks. But it's .NET, so it should be mostly the same development experience...hopefully. :)
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

mkmurray wrote:I'd be willing to work on a .NET mobile app. I have a ton of professional .NET experience, but not much with the mobile frameworks. But it's .NET, so it should be mostly the same development experience...hopefully. :)
Recently I had to take a small .NET 2.0 application and redo it in .NET 1.1 (dont ask, haha) and it was incredible how many things I had to write my own code for so it will be interesting to see how many things you are used to in v2 that are not in the Compact Framework :-) It's not a big issue but just one of those surprise elements.

Anyway, anyone know of "finger friendly" .NET Compact Framework controls?
nerdherd-p40

Post by nerdherd-p40 »

I've been looking for finger friendly controls but I don't think the .NET Compact Framework really is geared towards that. I'm sure in future releases they'll improve on it. Every app that has some kind of finger friendliness has written its own finger friendly code I think. I did find someone on XDA-developers working on a control that used kinetic scrolling here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=333124

If you add the KListControl to a project in Visual Studio then you get a flick scrollable list that you can add items to, but I haven't been able to get very far using that.

If someone wanted to head this up I would be more than happy to help with testing! I'm not really that experienced in coding, but I do know Java and am learning C#. And I could try it out on my Samsung Omnia!
nerdherd-p40

Post by nerdherd-p40 »

This is a bump
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

nerdherd wrote:This is a bump
At the moment we are a bit stuck on how to stream an mp3 file without having to download it first as well as being able to stream an mms protocol of the Mormon Channel Radio.

As for finger friendly controls I personally like this one:
http://fluid.codeplex.com/
which is open source etc.

So now we just need someone to come along and say "no problem, i will write something to deal with the audio".
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

dkjorgi wrote:At the moment we are a bit stuck on how to stream an mp3 file without having to download it first as well as being able to stream an mms protocol of the Mormon Channel Radio.

So now we just need someone to come along and say "no problem, i will write something to deal with the audio".
Don't confuse the Mormon Channel app with a proposed Scripture app. :)
nerdherd-p40

Post by nerdherd-p40 »

dkjorgi wrote:At the moment we are a bit stuck on how to stream an mp3 file without having to download it first as well as being able to stream an mms protocol of the Mormon Channel Radio.

Wait, why would we need audio for a basic scripture app? That would be great and all, but I'm just talking about an app that works for finger scrolling through the scriptures...
nerdherd-p40

Post by nerdherd-p40 »

dkjorgi wrote: As for finger friendly controls I personally like this one:
I've looked at that several times before but the complexity of it just overwhelms me. I'm a beginning programmer, and the coding to make those controls work appears to be a little beyond me...but if you have any simple apps that show how to use the controls I'd love to take a look at them. I don't think a scripture reader needs to be complicated (at least in its initial release...), just a simple XML reader basically.

Return to “Mobile Development”