Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Discussions around Mobile Development
markdavidson78

Any guidance for a non-geek?

Post by markdavidson78 »

Hey. I have the new Surface, and I love it. However, I really need all of my lds scriptures, magazines, etc. Is there any way that those of us who don't live in cyberspace can get automatically notified when the RT app has been released?

Thanks!

Mark
dkmortensen

Post by dkmortensen »

Any update on official plans yet?
mnwhiteninja

Win 8 Apps

Post by mnwhiteninja »

the simple fact that Win 8 has been out for over a month now and there is still no LDS scripture apps is a epic fail. Sorry but Win 8 will have more users then iOS in the next 12 months as MS continues to push Win 8 in corporate America with tablet style models. Hate to say it but every corporation in American has been asking for MS based tablet device for a while now and Win 8 units hit the spot. It's only a matter of time until the APPL empire comes crumbling down yet again.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator Note: Please keep the discussion focused on the topic of the thread. If you would like to start a different yet related topic, start another thread. Read the Code of Conduct before posting. "Do not post ... comments or content ... that ridicules or belittles any ... organization."]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jjfprice

Re: Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Post by jjfprice »

I received my Surface yesterday and am loving it. I would love to have Gospel library on it to teach my Sunday school class especially with the new curriculum. I am moving my desktop to windows 8 this week and am going to be looking into App development and as a software engineer I would love to help with any Win8 development if there is any going on.
nbflint

Re: Win 8 Apps

Post by nbflint »

mnwhiteninja wrote:the simple fact that Win 8 has been out for over a month now and there is still no LDS scripture apps is a epic fail.
Windows 8 has been out for less than 2 months. In that time you expect the church to drop other projects of higher priority, the community to produce a team of expert developers and a production polished application to be released. Forget about the full-time employment that community developers hold on the side to support their church application development projects. These expectations are simply unrealistic. I appreciate your enthusiasm for what I agree could be a huge new player in the tablet industry, but nothing of quality happens overnight (Quality software is rarely developed in 2 month from the release of a completely new platform.)

I suggest you learn to develop for the Windows 8 Metro platform and prepare for the opportunity to work on the project when it is created. As I understand it, the majority of the work on the the community projects occurs in that manner.
bradbartz

Post by bradbartz »

Is any way to be notified when the Window 8 project is up?
luiscabrera

Post by luiscabrera »

I am interested in helping out in the development of the win 8 app... I will start playing with the JSON service today to see if I can prototype something.

Thanks!
-Luis Cabrera
rickdez

Post by rickdez »

I got a surface today for my new RS president wife to use in her calling before realizing that there was no LDS tools or Gospel Library for Windows 8. I share with others the hope that those apps will be available soon as there is an ever growing desire. Thank you to all those developers who may be working on this project. Keep up the good work...
bradbartz

Re:

Post by bradbartz »

dstaheli wrote:Hello all,

There is quite a bit of discussion going on at Church headquarters about Windows 8. I will reply to this thread as soon as more is known. In the meantime, anyone wishing to familiarize themselves with XAML, WinRT, Windows 8 usability, and Metro design principles will be a great help to any potential community projects. More soon, and thanks for your patience...

David
Hey David, any updates you can share with us?

Return to “Mobile Development”