Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Discussions around Mobile Development
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dkmortensen wrote:Is there any place for a survey or voting tool?

Hopefully they're watching the browser stats that are accessing lds.org. Seems to me that would be more accurate then a survey.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
npmiller57

Post by npmiller57 »

dkmortensen wrote:Is there any place for a survey or voting tool? I wonder whether it would help if the Church could see that thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of members use Windows phones already. And no doubt the Win RT platform will become the staggering force in the Desktop/Tablet scene in 6 months or less.

You guys are completely right that we're talking about reaching millions of end-users with the Windows RT platform. Then if Windows phone 7.5/7.7/8 is included in the apps (which shouldn't be too awfully hard if you plan for that from the beginning), you are literally looking at what is probably collectively the largest end-user footprint (given that people are using Windows 8 today and most all PC users probably will be no later than 3-4 years from now).

Regarding the comment about some PCs not being upgraded to W8, that is true. But they will eventually be replaced, and then comes Windows 8.

==============

Also, I've noticed a few minor bugs in the LDS Gospel Library WP app, and the Mormon Channel WP app. Does anyone know whether further development is going to happen on those apps in their current state?

==============

Anyway, I have a surface arriving by UPS tomorrow, my wife has a Lumia 900, I just sold my 900 & am getting a 920 in a week. I have plenty of local acquaintances using WP7.5. We love the platform. I am hoping it won't be long before my Surface will not feel like a second rate experience when it comes to church use.

Thanks all!! :-)
You will love the Surface - really glad I got mine! The Windows Ecosystem is gaining some traction thanks to the retail success of Windows 8. I think we'll see some growth in the area of Win8 Phones as well.
jpx92681

Anyone working on a windows 8 Gospel Library app?

Post by jpx92681 »

It would be good to have a windows 8 gospel library app, i would like to use my pavilion dm1 netbook to use it in my sunday school class...

I can help with testing since i dont have much skill in developing.

Thanks!
jpx92681

Post by jpx92681 »

I just read almost every forum in regards developments and i think there is no one working officially in windows 8... let´s do this, i mean i don´t have the skill but anyone that could bring this issue to the church so a gospel library development can begin?? i seach in the windows 8 app store and there is a lds videos app which i don´t think is sponsored by the church... sad! someone do something and raise the hand with someone in the development team..-

Thanks!!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jpx92681 wrote:I just read almost every forum in regards developments and i think there is no one working officially in windows 8...

How could you draw that conclusion, after reading (in this very thread) this post and this post? I know that there have been no official announcements of product release dates, but I would draw the opposite conclusion. Certainly it's the case that products are not being released as fast as some people would hope, but that doesn't mean that nothing is happening.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
npmiller57

Post by npmiller57 »

aebrown wrote:How could you draw that conclusion, after reading (in this very thread) this post and this post? I know that there have been no official announcements of product release dates, but I would draw the opposite conclusion. Certainly it's the case that products are not being released as fast as some people would hope, but that doesn't mean that nothing is happening.

I agree with Brown on this one... I'm confident something is happening. Status updates would, however, be nice.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

npmiller57 wrote:I agree with Brown on this one... I'm confident something is happening. Status updates would, however, be nice.
I'm guessing that it is just a matter of the people who know the status aren't out here reading the forums.
dkmortensen

Post by dkmortensen »

Indeed after having used my surface for a week, I am enjoying it. It's a fantastic device. And truly amazing that Microsoft ported the whole windows OS to ARM. It wasn't until I received it that I realized that.

I have also downloaded the LDS Videos & LDS Reading apps. But a full featured app from the church would be way better.

+1 on church sysadmins watching user agent stats on lds.org. Good idea.
marvinhenry

count me in

Post by marvinhenry »

I got the new Windows Phone 8 last weekend and installed LDS Tools on it. It appears to be working great and it seems it wouldn't be too much work porting to a metro app. I would love to see this and would be happy to help where possible.
npmiller57

Post by npmiller57 »

there are some fill-in options available now. They are not, however, free. One is Margins and I don't remember the other.

They both give you access to the library but don't sync with your LDS Account for bookmarking a notes. They also no not give access to the ward directories. Both are $3.99. I prefer Margins because it has a very functional search whereas the other option does not.

If you search "LDS" in the app marketplace you'll find them.

Return to “Mobile Development”