Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Discussions around Mobile Development
maryjcarson2008

Re: Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Post by maryjcarson2008 »

Windows 8 intrigues me. But I think I am going to stick it up with my iPad. Works for me.
luiscabrera

Post by luiscabrera »

Any word on when we will be able to use the Win8 app in Spanish?
jaycenornin

Post by jaycenornin »

For all of those who are following this thread, there is an LDS Music project for Win8 now available for everyone to support. I've been digging through the Google groups posts for that project and I lifted this quotation which answers a lot of questions that we all have:
:name removed for privacy:
Oct 27

Gospel Library for Windows 8 was published officially by the church. It is currently being moved to the community to further the work of development on it. It should be available shortly for others to contribute to. I have already moved it to a TFS GIT repository on visualstudio.com. I have migrated it to Windows 8.1 (still need more work there).

As for LDS Tools, there isn’t a Windows 8 project for it yet. I imagine we will try to do that one after we get Gospel Library up to feature parity with the other platforms.

Windows Phone versions of LDS Tools and Gospel Library are also official Church applications. They are getting a little dated, as they were originally published for 7.5 and aren’t really Windows Phone 8 apps. They need to be upgraded to take advantage of the speed improvements of the platform. Again, that project was once a community project but has been archived. I believe we will move it out of archive for the community to work on after we finish the other work above.

I hope that helps shed light on our projects somewhat.

Oh, about me. I do work for the Church, but not in the mobile apps department. I work in a department called EUP (End User Productivity). Like you, I am a volunteer working on these projects in what little spare time I have. I’m excited to be a part of this and excited for all the great people willing to donate and volunteer their time to a worthy cause.

Thanks,
I guess our people on the "inside" at LDS Tech are too busy working on their respective projects to pay attention to these forums. But this tells me that there is progress going on behind the curtain, even if it is slower than we would like.

I recommend that as many of us as possible join the existing LDS Music project in order to 1) speed development of the one open project for the Windows platform that we have and 2) to demonstrate our commitment to promoting and supporting the various LDS apps on this platform.
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

@ jaycenornin, just what we didn't want to hear! Thanks for posting that though.
jaycenornin

Post by jaycenornin »

jkentner wrote:@ jaycenornin, just what we didn't want to hear! Thanks for posting that though.
I'm confused... to me it's good news, there's a project we can contribute to now! And an explanation for what's going on with the other apps we've been asking about. I thought we all just got what we were asking for.
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

I guess that is a better way to look at it! Cup half full, not half empty. Good point...
jeffbarge

Post by jeffbarge »

So, what needs to happen for the Windows Phone Gospel Library to be re-activated? It seems there is no shortage of developers willing to work on it (myself included). The entire situation is rather embarrassing.
FetteJK

Post by FetteJK »

I for one am grateful for this tidbit of information, I only regret I don't have any programming skills to offer but I can type if that would help. I appreciate any effort that's been made thus far... Regards Ken
msheets

Post by msheets »

This will probably be of great interest to everyone on this list. It is currently publically available, so I'm assuming that it is okay to share: https://tech.lds.org/blog/589-windows-8-gospel-library. It looks as though a new version of both Windows and Windows Phone Gospel Library is on its way!
VisionCloud

Post by VisionCloud »

Thanks for the info about the broadcast. I use windows phone 8 and Windows 8.1 on a surface and can't wait until the church closes the gap between iOS and windows applications.

Return to “Mobile Development”