Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Discussions around Mobile Development
EnghCH

Where are the two WP7 Projects?

Post by EnghCH »

I use the Gospel Library and LDS Tools on my Windows Phone. I was once a participant in those projects but now I don't see there here. If the community could get that source code we could probably produce a Windows 8 version in a matter of days. Does anyone have the SVN URL to either of those projects?
riceboyler

Post by riceboyler »

EnghCH wrote:I use the Gospel Library and LDS Tools on my Windows Phone. I was once a participant in those projects but now I don't see there here. If the community could get that source code we could probably produce a Windows 8 version in a matter of days. Does anyone have the SVN URL to either of those projects?

The Wiki shows the TFS link, but I'm not sure if it's still available or not. I'll see if I can connect and pull them down...

EDIT: I just tried connecting to it, but it's not recognizing my login. I think I might have the code from a couple versions back stashed somewhere. I'll see what I can find.
npmiller57

Post by npmiller57 »

msheets wrote:Just to add to my previous comments, READ THE FOLLOWING: PRE-sales for Windows 8 have been FORTY PERCENT higher than pre-sales for Windows 7. Windows 8 had already brought in a little under 800 MILLION in pre-sales nearly a week before the actual release! (http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/ ... y-earnings). How we are even discussing WebOS totally eludes me when we are barely glancing at Windows, the behemoth that has influence in every part of the world. Another article for thought on numbers: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411443,00.asp. I hope that we can get moving on this. Two days ago. Or maybe even two months ago.
No kidding... The phenomenal thing about developing a Win8 app is you aren't just catering to those who buy a tablet but you are catering to those who use WINDOWS! That's a large chunk of people :)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

npmiller57 wrote:No kidding... The phenomenal thing about developing a Win8 app is you aren't just catering to those who buy a tablet but you are catering to those who use WINDOWS! That's a large chunk of people :)
You're catering only to users of Windows 8 (a sizeable chunk of Windows machines won't be upgraded), and only to the subset of Windows 8 users who choose to use Win8 apps. It's still an open question how many users of Win8 on a PC will choose to use those apps. I imagine it will still be a sizeable number.

But compare the release date of Android OS to the first release of an official LDS app for that OS. I don't have the exact data, but I know that it was years, not days or weeks or even months. I'm not saying that it will take the same amount of time for the first Win8 apps to be released by the Church, but given the pattern of past apps and platforms, I think some patience is in order.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
npmiller57

Post by npmiller57 »

I think the difference between android and windows is the church barely had an app presence and no one was really sure what would happen with android.

Either way, you are right that patience is the name of this game :)
pescadomuerto

Silence on Win8 and the frustration of wanting to contribute

Post by pescadomuerto »

Gentlefolk, the months of silence and inaction on starting Windows 8 projects underlines the frustration that I and perhaps others feel in wanting to contribute to the LDS Tech community in ways that are meaningful to us and leverage skills we posses -- but cannot due to the absence of Windows 8 projects.

Highly demotivating.

It's is not as thought Windows 8 is a surprise to the world. We could have been done with Windows 8 ports of all LDS apps long ago.
jeffhollan

Post by jeffhollan »

pescadomuerto wrote:Gentlefolk, the months of silence and inaction on starting Windows 8 projects underlines the frustration that I and perhaps others feel in wanting to contribute to the LDS Tech community in ways that are meaningful to us and leverage skills we posses -- but cannot due to the absence of Windows 8 projects.

Highly demotivating.

It's is not as thought Windows 8 is a surprise to the world. We could have been done with Windows 8 ports of all LDS apps long ago.

As someone who has been watching this thread for weeks I completely agree with this. I am a bit disappointed with the absence of internal and/or community windows 8 projects. There are many of us here to help.
EnghCH

Found an old copy of the WP7 LDS Tools Source

Post by EnghCH »

I dug up an old copy of the WP7 LDS Tools App from when I helped work on it. I thought I'd try to port it over to Windows 8 (WinRT). I have a Surface tablet and my laptop is running Windows 8. I just thought I'd throw that out there.
npmiller57

Post by npmiller57 »

EnghCH wrote:I dug up an old copy of the WP7 LDS Tools App from when I helped work on it. I thought I'd try to port it over to Windows 8 (WinRT). I have a Surface tablet and my laptop is running Windows 8. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Sounds good... let me know how it goes.
dkmortensen

One more user requesting this

Post by dkmortensen »

Is there any place for a survey or voting tool? I wonder whether it would help if the Church could see that thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of members use Windows phones already. And no doubt the Win RT platform will become the staggering force in the Desktop/Tablet scene in 6 months or less.

You guys are completely right that we're talking about reaching millions of end-users with the Windows RT platform. Then if Windows phone 7.5/7.7/8 is included in the apps (which shouldn't be too awfully hard if you plan for that from the beginning), you are literally looking at what is probably collectively the largest end-user footprint (given that people are using Windows 8 today and most all PC users probably will be no later than 3-4 years from now).

Regarding the comment about some PCs not being upgraded to W8, that is true. But they will eventually be replaced, and then comes Windows 8.

==============

Also, I've noticed a few minor bugs in the LDS Gospel Library WP app, and the Mormon Channel WP app. Does anyone know whether further development is going to happen on those apps in their current state?

==============

Anyway, I have a surface arriving by UPS tomorrow, my wife has a Lumia 900, I just sold my 900 & am getting a 920 in a week. I have plenty of local acquaintances using WP7.5. We love the platform. I am hoping it won't be long before my Surface will not feel like a second rate experience when it comes to church use.

Thanks all!! :-)

Return to “Mobile Development”