Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Discussions around Mobile Development
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Post by russellhltn »

The only answer I know of is to ask the stake president to talk to the area authority. It's the Priesthood that sets the priorities.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dkmortensen

Post by dkmortensen »

I think the short answer to this thread is that it sounds like there are plans within the Church's tech mobile app dept. The long answer is that we really haven't got any type of official confirmation of that. And perhaps the greater unknown is "when".

I am actually considering creating some simplistic apps to help fill the gap until the Church decides to start Windows Store apps.

Regarding porting from Windows Phone 7.x to Windows Store, here's a primer:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.85).aspx

I believe the new Windows platform will be very successful, especially the Windows 8 (x86) tablets. I have had my hands on them & they are fantastic. As others have said, the existing user base gives Microsoft so much leverage. I don't see how their strategy can fail.
dkmortensen

Post by dkmortensen »

Is anyone here interested in taking up some ad-hoc efforts on creating some decent apps until the Church decides it is time for them to take it up?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

dkmortensen wrote:Is anyone here interested in taking up some ad-hoc efforts on creating some decent apps until the Church decides it is time for them to take it up?
Volunteers, such as yourself, are welcome to pop into the church's IRC tech channel and ask specific questions there. They have a high-level staff IRC chat most workdays from 9:00-9:30am Mountain Time, and if you ask there how or when you can begin to assist with WP8 development, I'm sure someone will hang around after their meeting and give you more info. They very much appreciate the large number of volunteers that help move the work forward. You can find the IRC info here:

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Irc
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

I just wanted to thank all of you willing to volunteer to move this forward. I had thought I was the only one out there that wanted to see the apps updated to support WP8/W8Pro/W8RT, looks like there is a lot of us wanting this.
jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jeffevannelson »

I for one really want the gospel library/LDS tools for Windows 8.
davelef

Post by davelef »

I suggest Margins written by an LDS member and available in the Windows Store. Excellent app for scripture study, class manuals, general conference, etc. Works great on my tablet and PC.
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

I just hope the LDS Tools that does come out will have the same functionality as the IOS version. There seems to be a huge gap between the current Android and WP7 version and IOS.
VisionCloud

Post by VisionCloud »

I also would like to see a full suite of Win8 apps. Gospel library, LDS tools, and LDS Hymns would be three very welcome apps. Every week, I get to church pull out my tablet and search for LDS to see if any have been made yet. Can't wait till they're created.
craigktreasure

Post by craigktreasure »

I've had Surface for a few months and have really been missing the Gospel Library app. I am a C#\XAML (among others) developer and have been very tempted to write my own Windows 8 app (written a few already). I've been pretty disappointed in the Church's Windows and Windows Phone efforts so far. I'd be happy to contribute to an official app if I can get in touch with the right people.

Return to “Mobile Development”