Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Discussions around Mobile Development
Eric84

Re: Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Post by Eric84 »

I also would really like to see this app. If nothing else it would be nice to see some official plans so that, if there aren't any, volunteers can get this done.

In the mean time for all of you windows users looking for something, there are some 3rd party apps that are pretty good. Search for LDS in the windows store and you'll find them. They don't have all of the features of what I assume the official apps will but they are great for following along in Sunday school or for general reading.
dkmortensen

Post by dkmortensen »

Any official updates here? It would be nice to know what the church's official plans are so that we know what we should & should not expect, including the time frame. This way members who are interested in creating their own software are not left hanging in suspense.
tvalentine

Post by tvalentine »

Second (or third, or fourth :) the interest in a Gospel Library and LDS Tools App for Win 8 and Win Phone 8. I am interested in helping with development if needed.
rmathis77

Post by rmathis77 »

Please make an app for Windows 8 and the Surface Tablet!
bretvincent

Post by bretvincent »

What would be the best way to help the church gage the interest in Win 8 apps? How do we promote a new platform beyond IOS and Android?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bretvincent wrote:What would be the best way to help the church gage the interest in Win 8 apps? How do we promote a new platform beyond IOS and Android?
I would imagine that if the leaders wanted to know, they'll look at the stats for accessing lds.org.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kentann

Post by kentann »

I’ve been following this thread on the status of an LDS Tools version for Win8 (Metro). Not surprisingly it’s a fairly active thread but after checking the list of projects https://tech.lds.org/projects?view=projects on LDS Tech it doesn’t appear that there is any active work windows solution.

I realize that Windows 8 is relatively late to the Mobile app game but consider the following:
  • The number of installed Win 8 instances (on traditional PC Hardware, Tablets including Surface) in the next 12-18 months will likely exceed the total number of iOS, and Android devices combined.
  • The LDS Tools app for Windows 8 Phone has been very solid and released a short time after the Win8 Phone.
  • Microsoft shipped a Win8 RC in May and RTM’d in August. And I know the port from Win8 Phone to Win8 Metro requires more than clicking through wizard, but it is very doable.
In my household today we have PC's (Win7 and Win8), iPads, Windows 7 and Windows 8 Phones, recently acquired a Microsoft Surface. To be honest I have loved the iPads for what they can do, unfortunatly they are a fairly limited device (try printing, plugging in a thumb drive, adding additional memory). While I was a little suspicions about how much I would like the Surface, within a couple days I wiped the iPad and shelved it (added restrictions and gave it to one of my kids) in favor for my new Microsoft Surface RT. My ONLY significant disappointment is that it's missing my LDS Tools.

So, from a personal perspective I'd really like to use the LDS toosl on my surface. From a church member perspective, I can't understand why the Church wouldn't be prioritizing applications for what will undoubtedly be the most prevalent platform used by the members of the church.

Thanks!
Eric84

Post by Eric84 »

I couldn't agree more. We just got a dell all in one PC and I am actually shocked by how much my wife and kids love the Windows store apps. I can't help but think the gospel library would be great on this thing. An app targeting the platform would have the ability to be much more powerful and user friendly than LDS.org (not that this isn't a very impressive website). There was an app called LDS Reading that I got on my Surface. It was a great start but for some reason it no longer shows up in searches. I have zero knowledge as to why, but have been hoping the Church hired the developers to build the official app, and that that is why it is no longer there (if you already bought it you can still get it).

Anyway, I'd love to see a full LDS study app that really took digital studying and cloud sync to the next level. I can imagine some nice stuff being done with Family History Work as well! Here's hoping!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kentann wrote:So, from a personal perspective I'd really like to use the LDS toosl on my surface. From a church member perspective, I can't understand why the Church wouldn't be prioritizing applications for what will undoubtedly be the most prevalent platform used by the members of the church.
The forum is primarily user-to-user support. No one in the church who has control over the priorities comes here.

As such, the phrase "preaching to the choir" comes to mind.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kentann

Post by kentann »

russellhltn wrote:The forum is primarily user-to-user support. No one in the church who has control over the priorities comes here.

As such, the phrase "preaching to the choir" comes to mind.
If that's the case then how can one "preach" to those with control over priorities?

Return to “Mobile Development”