Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Discussions around Mobile Development
dkmortensen

Re: Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Post by dkmortensen »

Also, I'll bet the church has a Facebook page. Maybe we could start some activity there. The only problem is o don't think would be a way to validate that the people who vote for it are actually church members. On the other hand. If I made a simple registry on a private site, we could require enough contact info to cause strong assurance that the people who vote are actually members. And we could still promote that on FB if we wanted.
jpawlowski

Post by jpawlowski »

I got the Surface Pro and one of the selling points to my wife was that we could use LDS Gospel library and LDS Tools apps... Oops.
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

As another person suggested, you can use BlueStacks which allows you to install the Android version of Gospel Library and LDS Tools. It is a bit kludgy though.
dkmortensen

Post by dkmortensen »

Does BlueStacks exist for Win RT (Surface RT & the likes)?
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

It only will work on the Surface Pro, not Surface RT.
dkmortensen

Post by dkmortensen »

Roger. I have RT. And I think whatever the church develops for Windows 8 need to incorporate RT in addition to standard windows. Windows Phone 8 too. RT is lighter & the batter life is great.
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

Yes I 100% agree with you. I had a demo unit of an RT device for about a month. I found that I had to create shortcuts on the Windows RT Start so that I could have things available to me. I have a WP8 phone, there is a version of LDS Tools and Gospel Library, but LDS Tools is way behind what is available in the IOS version.
sailorsben

Post by sailorsben »

I just want to throw it out there, that I'm using Windows 8 on my PC and using a Nokia Lumia 920. While I like the Gospel Library app, the LDS tools not downloading is annoying ( I assume it was still made for 7). I also wouldn't mind having the full music for the hymns. Previously I could download the Mormon Channel app, but that has since been removed for the Nokia Lumia 920. It won't let me download it.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate these apps being made available for Windows 8 and WP8 as I have no intention of ever going back to iOS or Android.
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

Just thinking about your LDS Tools not downloading...I had an issue with my wife's not downloading on her 920. It was actually doing it on her Focus with WP7 also. If I logged in as myself it worked fine. I went and changed her password to not have any special characters, and it worked fine. I honestly think there is a bug in the authentication component of the WP version of LDS Tools where it doesn't accept certain password combinations even though logging in via the website works fine.
toddthomas1

Post by toddthomas1 »

I like the idea of keeping this issue a squeaky wheel provided there’s a way to validate how many of us there really are wanting GL/LDS Tools, etc. for Windows 8. As suggested in prior posts, if someone has a clever way of authenticating the demand via posts or signatures either in or outside of this forum I would be happy to add my name to that list and would let others in my ward know who have Surfaces/W8. I liked the Facebook idea as things on Facebook can be spread very easily or even using Facebook to corral all those looking for LDS W8 apps to this forum to post. Judging by the amount of views on this topic (8k+ as of today) people are regularly checking on this and would imagine there’s quite a few wanting LDS W8 apps.

Return to “Mobile Development”