Church mags on iPad

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

grahamf72 wrote:There is a drawback though - it increases the size of the files dramatically. Eg April went from 8MB to 48MB. The pages are perfectly viewable though.

That's a great work around -- thanks for posting it. One thing you might try to help with the file size is to use PDFCreator instead of CutePDF. On the June Ensign I found that the size only increased from 9.4M to 11.8M when I printed it with PDFCreator, which is not bad at all.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lionelwalters

Post by lionelwalters »

Wonderful suggestion! I've been looking for a solution for this for ages and I can't believe it was so simple! Incidentally, I've used Acrobat 9 Standard to create the PDFs and they're coming out about /half/ the size of the original! Bonus!
scott793992

I can't export to a file that works

Post by scott793992 »

I am on a mac and can't print to a PDF file that will work (they all do the same thing). Any other thoughts?

Scott

***Update***

I found the solution for the mac. I am using Acrobat Pro and was trying to "Save as PDF" from the print menu. It wasn't letting me, it kept saying that save from print was not allowed (in acrobat) select file-save. I kept trying to save the pdf as many different files and couldn't find a solution. Finally I tried printing to the PDF printer (a virtual printer in the list of printers). This was installed with acrobat pro and uses Distiller. This fixes the problem (you have to create a custom paper size to match the magazine). It looks great on the I-Pad!

Thanks for all the posts, they led me to the solution. :)

Scott
lionelwalters

Post by lionelwalters »

I've just downloaded the latest (July) issue of the Ensign and it renders fine on iPad/iPhone, so hopefully they'll be fine in the future too. For those who are interested, I have "fixed" the earlier 2011 issues and packaged them up. You can download them here.

Return to “Mobile Applications”