Android / droid LDS apps

bkaz-p40

Android / droid LDS apps

Post by bkaz-p40 »

Reveal - Allows you to use the vast Yaceyware (ybk) library on your android device.

Unit List On The Run (runs on your PC, not phone) - Automatically creates a Yanceyware book from the contents of your Ward website. Downloads a roster from each Ward in your Stake.

Ward Roster - New program that displays data from MLS exports.

Ward Tools - No android app yet, but it recently went open source so hopefully someone will port it to Android.

By using Unit List On The Run along with Reveal you can look up anyone in the Stake, click an icon next to their name, and see a street view, see it on a map, or navigate to the home!
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

bkaz wrote:Reveal - Allows you to use the vast Yaceyware (ybk) library on your android device.

Unit List On The Run (runs on your PC, not phone) - Automatically creates a Yanceyware book from the contents of your Ward website. Downloads a roster from each Ward in your Stake.

Ward Roster - New program that displays data from MLS exports.

Ward Info - No android app yet, but it recently went open source so hopefully someone will port it to Android.

By using Unit List On The Run along with Reveal you can look up anyone in the Stake, click an icon next to their name, and see a street view, see it on a map, or navigate to the home!

A couple of tweaks to that list:
  • Ward Roster has two modes: In can be populated by the Membership.csv export (no HT/VT or callings so far) available to leaders. Alternately it can be populated from a download from the local unit website, which contains directory data for general-membership use.
  • I think you might mean Ward Tools rather than Ward Info. Ward Tools did recently go open-source, and an Android version is in development. (I don't know anything about Ward Info.)
bkaz-p40

Post by bkaz-p40 »

Oops... got my names wrong. Corrected the first post. Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

No links?
bkaz wrote:By using Unit List On The Run along with Reveal you can look up anyone in the Stake, click an icon next to their name, and see a street view, see it on a map, or navigate to the home!
I can do the same just by pulling up LUWS on the browser. :)

In LUWS, as long as the phone number is 10-digit, it works. There's a minor bug with the address in that only the first line gets transfered to the Map app. Not a problem if the street name is uncommon, but it may not find it if it's a common street name.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:
bkaz wrote:By using Unit List On The Run along with Reveal you can look up anyone in the Stake, click an icon next to their name, and see a street view, see it on a map, or navigate to the home!
I can do the same just by pulling up LUWS on the browser. :)
Seeing a map for each household is not a normal LUWS capability. I'm guessing you have installed a Greasemonkey Firefox script (as described in this post).

And navigating to the home is a bit easier with a handheld devide with GPS capabilities than with a desktop computer.:D
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:Seeing a map for each household is not a normal LUWS capability. I'm guessing you have installed a Greasemonkey Firefox script (as described in this post).
I guess I should have been a little more explicit. Since this is a Android thread, If I open LUWS on my Motorola Droid, I can just touch the address. This is completely out of the box, but it is a hidden feature since there's no clue that it's a clickable link.

Also, navigation gives me three options for the directions: By car, by bus and walking. There's also some speech capability. This looks to be a interesting platform to start development for tools for the blind.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Alan_Brown wrote:Seeing a map for each household is not a normal LUWS capability. I'm guessing you have installed a Greasemonkey Firefox script (as described in this post).

As explained in the comments in that post, the mobile version of LUWS includes an embedded link to Google maps for addresses that seem to be pretested for geocoding, and enabled smartphones call that link directly to activate the onboard Google Maps app.

That is the hidden feature RusselHltn is talking about. I find this feature quite handy. The main downside to connecting to LUWS is the latency, which is why I prefer an app like Ward Roster. Most of those addresses are clickable there, too, with similar behavior.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I was using classic LUWS. There is no visible link, but if you tap it, it's there.

I didn't see any similar functionality with Ward Roster. Oddly, the city/state from the 108 test data did not import. Maybe that's why.

bkaz-p40

Post by bkaz-p40 »

Great input - especially about LUWS. I hadn't thought of that yet.

Using Reveal/ULOTR is much more responsive, but you do have to manually update the data. To speed things up I copied the Unit List On The Run files into the folder with my YBKs. Then I just need to run ULOTR from the mounted drive and it saves the new YBK in the correct folder.

I hope ULOTR goes open source or gets updated soon.

Also can't wait for an Android Ward Tools to come out or for Ward Roster to pick up callings/HT/VT info.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

boomerbubba wrote:As explained in the comments in that post, the mobile version of LUWS includes an embedded link to Google maps for addresses that seem to be pretested for geocoding, and enabled smartphones call that link directly to activate the onboard Google Maps app.

That is the hidden feature RusselHltn is talking about. I find this feature quite handy. The main downside to connecting to LUWS is the latency, which is why I prefer an app like Ward Roster. Most of those addresses are clickable there, too, with similar behavior.
I'm pretty sure that is an Android feature. I don't think there is a separate mobile version of LUWS. I get similar behavior for addresses on other sites. This video demonstrates the general Android browser feature: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2FpDDEVWtk

Return to “Mobile Applications”