LDS Authenticator 1.0

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

LDS Authenticator 1.0

Post by sbradshaw »

A new Church app called LDS Authenticator has been released for Android and iOS. LDS Authenticator is one of several options for two-step verification* that you can use when signing into LDS.org. To use LDS Authenticator, you will need to add it as a two-step verification option in your LDS Account settings. LDS Authenticator supports push notifications or time-based codes.

*Two-step verification is a system that makes logging in more secure. The first "step" in two-step verification is usually typing your username and password – this is "something you know." The second step usually involves "something you have" (another device that can receive codes, texts, or push notifications, for example). The idea is that if someone else tries to sign in to your LDS Account without authorization, it's unlikely that they have both something you know (password) and something you have (another device).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LDS Authenticator 1.0

Post by russellhltn »

I'm wondering how much support this is going to need. For example, what happens if people loose their phone, or have to wipe it?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If the LDS Authenticator app gets deleted and they haven't taken any precautions, they'll need to get in contact with the Global Service Center to reset their account. There are a couple of precautions you can take to make sure you're not locked out of your account, though:

1) Set up a backup recovery option. LDS Account allows you to add multiple recovery options – for example, in addition to the LDS Authenticator app, you could set up text message as a backup method. Then, when you're signing in, at the bottom of the second-step sign-in page, there's an option to choose between the options that you've set up.

2) When logging in from a new device, there's an option to remember the browser for 30 days – if you've checked that box, and you're within the 30-day period, you can log in on the same device with just your username and password – then go into LDS Account settings and reset the two-step verification. However, you shouldn't check that box from every device you use to log in – that defeats the purpose of the two-step authentication. Preferably you would check that box only on a personal device (or user account of a device) that only you have access to.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

"LDS Authenticator" has been renamed to "Church Authenticator."
WilsonR

Post by WilsonR »

So I used the LDS Authenticator app for several things, including some financial stuff. I didn't actually remember that this was a church app, since it was just called "Authenticator" on my iPhone.

Now it no longer produces codes for anything, so all my accounts are broken. :/
Nimeth

Post by Nimeth »

I’m having the problem
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I’m having the problem
Which problem are you having? Perhaps your post was cut off, but it's unclear exactly what your issue is. Provide some better details, and hopefully a forum member will be able to give some helpful suggestions!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The app may have been discontinued. I'm not finding it on Google Play Store.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Mobile Applications”