LDS Tools not syncing (Sep 3)

teuscher
New Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 9:03 pm

LDS Tools not syncing (Sep 3)

Postby teuscher » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:08 am

The LDS Tools app (iOS) is not syncing. I either get a message that my password is incorrect or it won't download the file (app exits in the middle of the download).

Is this a server-side issue?

On a separate note, can the sync be sped up ... it is soooooo slow. Often takes over 5 minutes, even when on wifi.

Thanks!

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15021
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: LDS Tools not syncing (Sep 3)

Postby aebrown » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:10 pm

teuscher wrote:The LDS Tools app (iOS) is not syncing. I either get a message that my password is incorrect or it won't download the file (app exits in the middle of the download).

Is this a server-side issue?

Yes, it's a problem that happens not infrequently on busy Sundays. I experienced the same thing on my Android version of LDS Tools today. The app could probably be fixed to handle it a bit better, but it's fundamentally a problem with the server being overloaded.

teuscher wrote:On a separate note, can the sync be sped up ... it is soooooo slow. Often takes over 5 minutes, even when on wifi.

There are multiple factors that affect the speed.
  • Load on the server -- so doing your sync at some time other than Sunday is always wise.
  • Speed of the WiFi -- the LDS Access WiFi in a meetinghouse on a Sunday is often overwhelmed, so trying a sync on a Sunday using meetinghouse WiFi is probably the worst time and location you could choose.
  • Calling -- your calling(s) can affect how much data is downloaded
  • Out of Unit Calling -- When you have an out of unit calling, you may be syncing two stakes, each with their set of wards
  • Size of your stake and ward
  • Staleness of your data -- if it's been awhile since your last sync (or if there have been a lot of changes in your ward/stake), it will take longer
My sync is well under a minute when I'm on my home network not on a Sunday.

teuscher
New Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 9:03 pm

Re: LDS Tools not syncing (Sep 3)

Postby teuscher » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:55 pm

Thanks for the information. I'll try to redo the sync this week, after the holiday is over.

aebrown wrote:My sync is well under a minute when I'm on my home network not on a Sunday.


I would love to see those speeds. I always sync from my home network (>100 Mbps) and have never seen it complete in less than 5 minutes. I sync every 2-4 weeks. I am a Stake Clerk, which suggests I might be pulling more data than most ... but my wife's phone takes about the same amount of time. For an app that only occupies 40 MB on an iPhone ... the download seems excessively long. Here's a vote for some development work to make the sync more efficient.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15021
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: LDS Tools not syncing (Sep 3)

Postby aebrown » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:33 pm

teuscher wrote:Here's a vote for some development work to make the sync more efficient.

No one with input is likely to see your vote here. I'd recommend that you use the Contact Us option in the app (under Help on the Android version) to send your request. That way your suggestion will get to the product manager.

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1559
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 am
Location: Farmington, UT, USA

Re: LDS Tools not syncing (Sep 3)

Postby jonesrk » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:42 pm

teuscher wrote:Thanks for the information. I'll try to redo the sync this week, after the holiday is over.

aebrown wrote:My sync is well under a minute when I'm on my home network not on a Sunday.


I would love to see those speeds. I always sync from my home network (>100 Mbps) and have never seen it complete in less than 5 minutes. I sync every 2-4 weeks. I am a Stake Clerk, which suggests I might be pulling more data than most ... but my wife's phone takes about the same amount of time. For an app that only occupies 40 MB on an iPhone ... the download seems excessively long. Here's a vote for some development work to make the sync more efficient.

For what it's worth I just did a sync (Saturday evening) and it was under a minute. On my home network I have 15Mbps and I'm an assistant stake clerk for a larger stake (13 units, 4500 members).
Ryan Jones
CDOL Developer
Stake Technology Specialist - Software / Stake Assistant Clerk
Former Ward Clerk

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 7073
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Re: LDS Tools not syncing (Sep 3)

Postby lajackson » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:19 pm

[quote="jonesrk"][/quote]
My sync takes about 5 minutes on either a fast or slow Internet connection. IT doesn't seem to make a difference. It goes very slowly for about four minutes, then stops near the end for about a minute, and eventually says it has finished. It seems as if sometimes I have to do something to trigger my phone to wake up and decide the sync has finished.

So I am envious of you one-minute types. I wonder if it may have something to do with my phone, because once it did sync in under a minute. But that was so long ago that I can't remember when.

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I have multiple callings. I don't know. I sent feedback once after an app software upgrade, but never got a response.

So I just make sure I sync on Saturday evening at home, and not get caught at Church on Sunday when I actually need to use it most often.

Samsung Galaxy S4 phone, Android 5.0.1 OS.


Return to “Mobile Applications”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests