Download All Videos

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
Striker77s

Download All Videos

Post by Striker77s »

Is there any easy way to download all church videos within the app without clicking on each video? Yes I realize this may take up several TB. The bandwidth is unreliable in our building on Sunday and I'm trying to make it easier for teachers to use videos. I have an android media box and installed the gospel library app and Mormon channel app. I would like to have the app download the entire media library. That way teachers can check out a TV with the media box attached and can count on the video being there ready for use.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Download All Videos

Post by sbradshaw »

No, there isn't a way to do this through the Gospel Library app. Yours isn't a common use case (because most Android devices are much more limited in storage space) but you could send feedback through the app and suggest it. You would also need some sort of subscription so that new items can be downloaded as they become available.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might be interested in this thread. They've automated the download to USB stick for a Roku. But the same idea could probably be applied to other devices.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Striker77s

Post by Striker77s »

Thanks for the link, rknelson definitely has a great option for using Roku. I do have several Roku boxes and will play with it to see how well it will work with a larger library. Instead of connecting a USB stick, you can connect an external drive with lots of videos. I'm not sure how the Roku box will respond or how quickly it will scan when there are 1000+ videos on the device. Right now I'm trying to get a defunct app called Mizuu to work and it isn't going so well. I think I'll move onto VLC. Any other suggestions for apps would be appreciated. I need something with a really simple interface, and Kodi or XMBC is too complicated for the general user.

I know bandwidth is a church wide issue at the meeting houses as they suggest people download videos before showing up. The only problem is not all devices can connect to a TV so you are stuck trying to show a large class a video on a phone, which isn't going to happen. I'm surprised they haven't tried to come up with a better solution similar to rknelson's with some kind of automated download that can occur at night. Having a media server running from a raspberry Pi at each media house would be cheap and easy to customize to be exactly how they would like it to run and look.

I'll keep working on a solution and post my progress.

Return to “Gospel Library”