Suggestions for Scripture Mastery App

dejoha

Suggestions for Scripture Mastery App

Post by dejoha »

I'm a seminary teacher and I really like the concept of the scripture mastery app that is out, but I think it would be a little more useful with some added information. For example:

* Add audio to play back the scripture. Allow options to repeat with a delay or even speed playback. This is great for auditory learners or while commuting to hear the scripture play again and again.

* Include the background information for each scripture. Each scripture mastery card comes with four main topics that provide the historical setting, doctrinal teaching, missionary and personal application. Beyond just memorizing the scripture, students are also to know its context to better explain and use it. A simple tap or swipe to “flip” the card would work great.

* Include hyperlinks to footnotes and scriptures in the Gospel Library.

* Remove the ability to edit the scripture. Currently, in the memorize tab, you can actually click and edit the scripture with keyboard input (including copy/paste). No, the changes aren't saved, but it's not a very useful feature and has the possibility for abuse.

* Add multi-user gaming features. This app could be powerful and extremely entertaining if you could connect multiple devices together to play a matching game, for example. There are several multi-user game variants that could be introduced over time. Games could include more than just matching, but also fill-in-the-blanks, scripture chase buzzer (e.g., connect x-number of devices to a master device where a scripture pops up and the contestants simply tap/slap their device, Jeopardy style), context/background matching, summary matching, or even case study application.

* Add the game and scoring piece into the Game Center, as applicable. This could allow a user to play an individual game, post a score, and play rivals on different game types.
lmcguire

Re: Suggestions for Scripture Mastery App

Post by lmcguire »

Dejoha,

Do you know if the edit feature you describe is still in the app? If so, are you using it on iOS, or...? (I'm on Android, using Scripture Mastery 2.3.1 - 21 Jul 2015 14:35 - and couldn't get what you described to happen.)

Your ideas seem like good ones, especially for youth. I'm trying to think of how pictures might work, but can't quite figure out a very clever option (just the Gospel Art Book linked to verses, or recognizing leaders or temples) - for more visual learners.

Anywho, now that there's the option to add your own text to the app, I'm planning a video on how that works, and don't want to miss anything (even unwanted, half-editing options).

Thanks,

Liz
TenTribes

Post by TenTribes »

I have an iPad and I have the Scripture Mastery app downloaded. It only has 4 choices, "Memorize, Flashcards, Quiz, and Quiz Scores." I am looking for the activity in fill in the blanks, but cannot find it. Can anyone help me and tell me what I am doing wrong? :( THANKS, Karma
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

Karma,

Sorry for taking eons to answer you - I didn't notice a new post in this thread. Anyway, if you haven't already figured it out, in "Memorize", there's a slider at the bottom of the screen - slide left and it starts removing either entire words, or all but the first letter of words (the farther left you slide it, the more it removes). The "Aa" icon left of the slider controls whether it removes whole words (both letters underlined) or all but the first letter (only one "a" underlined).

FWIW,

Liz
ashleysummer

Post by ashleysummer »

I have the same issue as TenTribes!
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

Ashley,

The "fill in the blanks" doesn't literally let you fill in blanks - it blanks our either random letters or all but the first character of random words. This is done after choosing "Memorize" and then a scripture. In the resulting screen, there's a button at the lower left (which doesn't look like a button) with "Aa" as its text, with either one or both letters underlined - tap it to toggle the underline. Beside that, along the bottom of the screen, is a slider. Slide it left to remove letters, right to restore them. Here's a video of the Android version, set to start at the point where the slider is demonstrated: https://youtu.be/R_MCzIDJl2s?t=6m18s

I believe the iPad version is pretty much the same. If that doesn't help, perhaps you could tell us what's not working - do you have the slider? Is the "Aa" button there? Are these missing? Does sliding the slider not do anything? Or...?

FWIW,

Liz

Return to “Mobile Applications”