Indexing App

csmaughan

Indexing App

Post by csmaughan »

A while back there was a beta app available for indexing. There are times that I am available to do some indexing but don't have a desktop or laptop with me. Are there still plans to have an indexing app, or at least the ability to index online rather than just through the current indexing application? Is there anything members of the community can help with those?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Indexing App

Post by sbradshaw »

Yes, indexing should be transitioning to a browser-based program within the next year. They haven't announced any specific dates yet, but they are well on their way with development.

You can access a beta version of the browser-based indexing platform here:
https://beta.familysearch.org/indexing/my-indexing

But it doesn't load real data currently; only test data.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
surfinsano

Post by surfinsano »

Morning, I am wondering if there is any news regarding this? I still only know about the computer app for indexing. Any other options for phone or iPad? Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

surfinsano wrote:Morning, I am wondering if there is any news regarding this? I still only know about the computer app for indexing. Any other options for phone or iPad? Thanks!
No other options yet. The plan is to release a totally new indexing application that will be browser based and will work on tablets such as an iPad, but not on phones.

The new application is mentioned in the FamilySearch blog post 12 Things You Will See from FamilySearch in 2016. The last full article about it that I recall was What’s Happening to the New Indexing Program?
houckj

Post by houckj »

I would use the indexing app on my iPhone if it were available. It could really help increase the amount of genealogy and indexing done worldwide if an app was available for phones and tablets.
GreyWolf68

Post by GreyWolf68 »

houckj wrote:I would use the indexing app on my iPhone if it were available. It could really help increase the amount of genealogy and indexing done worldwide if an app was available for phones and tablets.
Browser-based indexing has been available since early 2017. I doubt a separate app will be provided, so indexing from a smartphone will probably not be too easy to do, but the browser-based option should work well on tablets with adequately large screens.
houckj

Post by houckj »

Thank you for letting me know. I still wish the app was available. I'll have to pray.

Return to “Mobile Applications”