KINDLE FIRE HDX vs SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 2 LDS APPS

heatherjoycellwillard

KINDLE FIRE HDX vs SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 2 LDS APPS

Post by heatherjoycellwillard »

Hello,

I hope I am doing this right and that my question is answered by someone out there in tech-o land who has owned one or both devices.

I would like to purchase my first tablet for primarily four reasons
1. Read scriptures and novels
2. Have scriptures and novels read aloud (audio books)
3. Watch church videos (Mormon Channel, Bible videos, etc.)
4. Read e-mail when away from home

My husband has a Kindle Fire and is able to have scriptures read aloud with ease and the tap of an on-screen menu. Is this feature available with the Samsang Galaxy II? Is the Galaxy as simple to navigate and access LDS apps? What are the apps like that offer parental controls. (Sadly, it does not - from what I understand - come pre-loaded with parental controls as the Kindle does. Customer Service tells me they can be "easily" installed with imported apps.) Is an 8.9" Kindle Screen or Galaxy 10.1 screen a nice size for a 40-something mom to read scriptures with? (My husband has a 7" screen and by the time I pump up the font, it just feels to squeezed for me to enjoy reading with.)

If you have opinions on one device or the other, I would greatly appreciate your sharing!

Thank you,
Heather
Amirrah

Re: KINDLE FIRE HDX vs SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 2 LDS APPS

Post by Amirrah »

Heather,

Both the Kindle Fire and the Samsung Galaxy are Android devices. (They have the Android operating system installed.) For this reason, most apps that play on one can also play on the other.

There are some limits to this:
- To read a Kindle book, you most likely need to download the Kindle app and use the Kindle app to open the book. The Kindle app is a free download that will work on a Galaxy.
- Some Kindle software does not open on anything other than a Kindle, but this is rare. Unless the app was made "Exclusively" for Kindle, it should play.
- Galaxies are generally faster and have higher end hardware, so many games and other large apps that play on a Galaxy cannot play on a Kindle Fire. I recommend the Galaxy over a Kindle or a Nook, in most cases.

Visit a store though, and look at how a Kindle displays pages and text. Kindles *look* more like real books with a dimmer screen that is easier to read for long hours, while other tablets are much brighter.

Reading your email away from home requires a Wi-Fi connection, in either case. McDonalds and Starbucks will allow you to check your email, while your place of work may have Wi-Fi, but you'll need to get the password.

If you want an internet connection anywhere you go, you can get a tablet with a Verizon or AT&T connection, but this cost the same as having a cell phone. (It turns your tablet into a cell phone with a big screen, in effect.)

Return to “Mobile Applications”