Running Android apps on a computer

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Running Android apps on a computer

Post by sbradshaw »

Something I've seen requested from time to time and that I think would be great as well is native computer apps for offline access to the scriptures, hymns, and ward resources... But, in the meantime, I found a great tutorial online for installing Android in VirtualBox that may interest anyone who wants to have access to the apps on their computer.
http://www.howtogeek.com/164570/how-to- ... irtualbox/

I'm on a Mac, and I tried BlueStacks, which is currently in Beta, but it was very limited and it also ate up all of my CPU. VirtualBox works much more reliably. You can install Gospel Library and LDS Tools and anything else you want from the Google Play store or the internet, just like an Android device...
screenshot_88.jpg
(110.35 KiB) Downloaded 1985 times
marianomarini

Re: Running Android apps on a computer

Post by marianomarini »

sbradshaw wrote: VirtualBox works much more reliably.
And it's available for Linux and Windows too!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

True!
A couple of people have asked me why I need Gospel Library as an offline app on my computer. For people without a smart phone or tablet, it's nice because you don't have to be online to highlight verses and add notes, which can be synced directly to your LDS Account when you connect again. For people with a smart phone (but not a tablet) it provides a bigger screen to read and annotate the scriptures on. For people interested in LDS Tech projects, it provides a way to help beta test the apps or teach others how to use them. The same holds for the other apps (LDS Music, LDS Tools, etc.).
jviola

Post by jviola »

We have the Adroid version of the Gospel Library connected to our television in the family room and use it for Family Home Evening lesson and for family scripture reading. It has been a great tool for our family.
Marsh85R

Post by Marsh85R »

Do I need Linux installed in PC to run android apps?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Marsh85R wrote:Do I need Linux installed in PC to run android apps?
No, but you do need to install a system such as BlueStacks or VirtualBox, which then run the Android operating system.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Marsh85R wrote:Do I need Linux installed in PC to run android apps?
No! I don't know BlueStacks, but VirtulaBox, as stated before, run on Windows and Mac too.
After installing this VM (Virtual Machine) you can run it and install Android in with it.
VirtualBox can manage several OS (Operating systems): windows, linux, android, BSD, eccetera.
After installind android you can usit always through VirtualBox.
Usually all the Hw is available for new OS. So you can use network, Internet and so on.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aebrown wrote:No, but you do need to install a system such as BlueStacks or VirtualBox, which then run the Android operating system.
The Android-x86 project and Intel's Android-IA are also up and coming efforts to run Android OS on a PC-based device.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Mikerowaved wrote:The Android-x86 project and Intel's Android-IA are also up and coming efforts to run Android OS on a PC-based device.
In this case, if you dont want to use a VM manager, you need a dedicated Pc or dual (several) boot system.
Tanks for links.
nikodesanta

Post by nikodesanta »

There so many methods to run the Android OS on PC below is the list of following methods.
  • Run Android On PC using bluestacks
  • Run Android On PC using Remix OS
In future there are lots method and techniques will come to run the Android On PC.

Return to “Mobile Applications”