Windows Phone Projects Marked Inactive/Private?!?

clintsinger

Post by clintsinger »

Hi Guys,

Being that I am just a community developer working on Mormon Channel and the only one at that, I have been trying to get features into MC based on my available time. This is one of the reasons why the features are different.

There are still a bunch of ideas that I have that I intend on implementing as time permits.

I also have contributed to LDS Tools.

So, if you have some ideas that you would like to see implemented, please feel free to post them.

Cheers,
Clint
proubinet

Post by proubinet »

dkmortensen wrote:@jkenter - Agreed regarding the different features, quality, etc between the different platforms. I am sure there are a number of reasons for this. No doubt that it would be ideal to have the same general features across the board. But I think there is no question that user demand/market penetration and quality of available devices & development tools plays into what features are brought to which platforms.

There is a recent thread in the forums with a user asking for better support for the BlackBerry playbook. In my opinion (as well as market analysts') BlackBerry is a dying platform. Not to mention that even current market penetration for the playbook is tiny. So to me it doesn't make sense to spend resources to growing a platform that is now very small & dying.

I would like to see iOS, Android & Windows8 (including Windows Phone 8) generally sport the same apps & features.
I would say there are more playbooks than windows based tablets. Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but I disagree with yours. BlackBerry is not a dying platform.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

proubinet wrote:I would say there are more playbooks than windows based tablets. Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but I disagree with yours. BlackBerry is not a dying platform.
Market share isn't particularly a matter of opinion -- you can do the research and see what the market share actually is. According to this study, iOS and Android have over 96% of the tablet OS market, and the others lick up the remaining crumbs. But Microsoft at least got 1.5% of the market -- the Playbook is simply lumped into the "Other" category.

I don't know that I'd say that BlackBerry is "dying" quite yet, but there's no question that its market share is declining. But regardless of anyone's opinions or interpretation of facts, the bottom line for mobile app development for Church apps on platforms other than iOS and Android is that much of the work is done by the the community, and so the platforms where there are more energetic, dedicated developers volunteering their time get more effort. If Playbook were super popular among developers, it would get more attention.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
pearsonchris@btinternet.com

Re: Windows Phone Projects Marked Inactive/Private?!?

Post by pearsonchris@btinternet.com »

Are any church apps being developed for the new BB10 platform?
jkentner

Re:

Post by jkentner »

clintsinger wrote:Hi Guys,

Being that I am just a community developer working on Mormon Channel and the only one at that, I have been trying to get features into MC based on my available time. This is one of the reasons why the features are different.

There are still a bunch of ideas that I have that I intend on implementing as time permits.

I also have contributed to LDS Tools.

So, if you have some ideas that you would like to see implemented, please feel free to post them.

Cheers,
Clint
I do not see the Mormon Channel app in the Marketplace on WP8?

As far as LDS Tools suggestions:

1)pull in photos from the LDS Directory
2)when mapping an address, please launch Nokia Drive
3)under Calendar, add a function to Add to your Calendar a certain event

Return to “Mobile Applications”