Use of webinar soft for CES classes

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: rodhyde, MarchantRR

User avatar
marianomarini
Senior Member
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:13 am
Location: Vicenza. Italy
Contact:

Use of webinar soft for CES classes

Postby marianomarini » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:59 pm

Do to a long distance of some student, I'm planning to reach them through webinar system.
I try some and find Vyew as quite worth to use.
There are other softs worth to test?
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:32 am

marianomarini wrote:Do to a long distance of some student, I'm planning to reach them through webinar system.
I try some and find Vyew as quite worth to use.
There are other softs worth to test?


You might consider the more official (but paid) options the Church recommends on the wiki at Web conferencing (meetinghouse).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

User avatar
pete.arnett
Member
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:33 am
Location: Sunny South Florida, USA

Postby pete.arnett » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:29 am

aebrown wrote:You might consider the more official (but paid) options the Church recommends on the wiki at Web conferencing (meetinghouse).


Also "Personal Video Conferencing" (PVC) is available to CES staff
Thanks,
:cool:Your Fellow Member,
Pete Arnett
Sunny South Florida, USA

User avatar
marianomarini
Senior Member
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:13 am
Location: Vicenza. Italy
Contact:

Postby marianomarini » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:55 pm

pete.arnett wrote:Also "Personal Video Conferencing" (PVC) is available to CES staff

The link give me this:
"This service is not available for local church leaders at this time. Check back later for more information."
Who can acces it?
I'll look for dimdim and yugma (freeware).
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).

User avatar
jeffvand
New Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Arlington, Texas

Webinar

Postby jeffvand » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:08 pm

You might also just check Skype or Teamviewer. Both are free. Skype had video and screensharing. Teamviewer allows shared screens. That teamed with FreeConferenceCall.com works great. You could even get a Free Google Voice account. I use all these tools all the time. Hope this helps. Love using technology to teach others the gospel. :)

lionelwalters
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:38 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Postby lionelwalters » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:54 pm

marianomarini wrote:Do to a long distance of some student, I'm planning to reach them through webinar system.
I try some and find Vyew as quite worth to use.
There are other softs worth to test?


I've recently started using WebEx Meet (meet.webex.com), which is free, for multi-point web/video conferences. I used ooVoo when I was teaching institute and it was good but not great. WebEx uses voice activation to display the speaking party, so I think it would be great in a classroom setting because you could see who's talking when they're talking. It also incorporates desktop sharing (displaying the video as an overlay panel on top) and the option to record if you want to send it to students who couldn't participate in the class live.

Hope this helps!

User avatar
marianomarini
Senior Member
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:13 am
Location: Vicenza. Italy
Contact:

Postby marianomarini » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:06 am

Thanks to all.
DimDim do not acept new registration for a while.
Yugma ii's one of my previous tests. I found trubles with Java plugin. It's installed but yugma don't reconize it!
ooVoo is only for Win users!
Skype is not exactly what I'm looking for.
I'll check out WebEx Meet, even if it don't sound unfamiliar. Maybe a previous test like Yugma!?
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).

brotherjjohnson
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:01 am

Postby brotherjjohnson » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:11 pm

Dimdim was the perfect solution for the distant seminary students in our stake. But alas, 'tis no more. I have spent countless hours researching a cost-effective alternative, but I have not had much success. I think my next trial candidate will be Fuze. WebEx Meet is really, really good, but is limited to a maximum of five participants. Our stake is planning on having up to 10 seminary students participating from afar this year. I pray the Church has worthwhile option soon.

lionelwalters
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:38 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Postby lionelwalters » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:10 pm

brotherjjohnson wrote:WebEx Meet is really, really good, but is limited to a maximum of five participants. Our stake is planning on having up to 10 seminary students participating from afar this year. I pray the Church has worthwhile option soon.


If your stake has the budget, a paid account which allows for up to 25 participants is only USD$49 p/month.

kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:29 am
Location: Alnwick, UK

Postby kennethjorgensen » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:23 pm

marianomarini wrote:Thanks to all.
DimDim do not acept new registration for a while.
Yugma ii's one of my previous tests. I found trubles with Java plugin. It's installed but yugma don't reconize it!
ooVoo is only for Win users!
Skype is not exactly what I'm looking for.
I'll check out WebEx Meet, even if it don't sound unfamiliar. Maybe a previous test like Yugma!?


You should also try out Google's Hangout (part of Google+). I have been testing it out and it is very good.

See my response here for more information.


Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest