Using PVC for church courses. Queries

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: MarchantRR, rodhyde

majcice

Using PVC for church courses. Queries

Post by majcice »

Hi,

I've just discovered PVC. I reside in s huge stake. It can take 5hr to drive from one end to the other. Currently, my stake has just started running some self-reliance courses for members. It's over an hour drive mid week, I'd really like to go but it impractical. So, being a "techie" type person thought Video conferencing would be a great solution. I've use Citrix Gomeeting before and it works well. No reason it can;t work for us. Anyhow, i discovered LDS has PVC. However after readin the overview etc I have a couple of questions

1) Notice that use is limted to people in certain callings. The facilitators of the self-reliance courses are not one of these so how can they get an authorised account?
2) Can Vidyo share you device/computer screen as well as the facilitators image?
3) I'm in Australia, I'm assuming the video conferencing server is in the states, how will that go with latency. Can a server be setup in Australia to facilitate local user here. Given Australia is massive and some stakes and wards are huge it would make sense to have it hosted locally.

Look forward to your response. Thanks in advance
Regards
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Using PVC for church courses. Queries

Post by russellhltn »

majcice wrote:1) Notice that use is limted to people in certain callings. The facilitators of the self-reliance courses are not one of these so how can they get an authorised account?
From the Help Center. "PVC is intended for conducting Church business and ecclesiastical work. It is not to be used for personal communication with family or friends. Other products such as Skype and Google Video Chat are excellent choices for making personal video calls."

It's unclear where that leaves self-reliance classes, but I wouldn't call them "Church business" nor "ecclesiastical work".
majcice wrote:I'm in Australia, I'm assuming the video conferencing server is in the states, how will that go with latency. Can a server be setup in Australia to facilitate local user here. Given Australia is massive and some stakes and wards are huge it would make sense to have it hosted locally.
The church contracts with Vidyo to provide the services (which is why the church limits the use). I don't know as the church has that much control where servers are set up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”