PVC: How to Output Video from Laptop to TV

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: rodhyde, MarchantRR

mlh78

PVC: How to Output Video from Laptop to TV

Postby mlh78 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:14 pm

This is what I want to accomplish; let me know if you have ideas:

Run video input from webcam to my laptop (which I will be using to take minutes, etc) and then export the video from the laptop (via HDMI) to a large television in the room, but without showing my screen (i.e., I only want to export the PVC video, not my screen full of notes.

Any ideas if this is possible?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: PVC: How to Output Video from Laptop to TV

Postby russellhltn » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:23 pm

Depends on the laptop. Most laptops can support a external monitor, but only some can treat it as a separate monitor.

I'd suggest trying it at home. Unless you can set up the HDMI output as a 2nd monitor and not as a slave to your screen, it's not going to work.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

mlh78

Postby mlh78 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:33 pm

russellhltn wrote:Depends on the laptop. Most laptops can support a external monitor, but only some can treat it as a separate monitor.

I'd suggest trying it at home. Unless you can set up the HDMI output as a 2nd monitor and not as a slave to your screen, it's not going to work.

I can treat it as a separate monitor, but not sure how to get just the video feed to go to it. Forgive me if this is just a random computer question and not a PVC question.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:01 pm

I've never used PVC myself, but I assume you just grab the app and drag it to the other monitor. (Usually the two monitors are connected as a single desktop - either to the side by side or above/below, depending on the settings.)
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

harddrive

Postby harddrive » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:04 pm

When you get into the meeting, the video is displayed in a window. Take the window and drag it over to the 2nd monitor and then make it a full screen.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”