Formatting in version 2.4.0

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
free2run

Yeah...

Post by free2run »

lajackson wrote:I am only seeing the first screenshot, not the second. I have a 2nd Generation iPod Touch, so I will never have the iOS 5 option on this device. I hope they have not accidentally obsoleted a whole bunch of us who do not always go out and get the latest and greatest hardware.

And if they have, I would like to know how to get the old .ipa file back onto my iTouch. I still have it. I just don't know how to restore it, or if iTunes will even let me.

Yeah, the second screenshot is of some verse that I highlighted and put notes with before I updated to the new software. So, I'm pretty sure that you would get the same thing if you had marked up your scriptures.

I'm also pretty sure that you can restore your iPod to a previous backup. It is in the options somewhere. I had to do it once when I updated my iPod to a newer version, and it didn't go too well (it deleted several apps' information). So I searched and found a way on iTunes to restore your iPod to a previous backup.

Now, if you did that, you would loose any information that you've put in the iPod since the last time you plugged it into your computer. Just making sure you're aware of that.

Good luck with that! I think I might do the same and wait for a notification from the Gospel Library people about them updating their software to work with our old iPod touches.
zythra

Post by zythra »

I've had the same problem. I removed the app and reinstalled it with no luck. I did however find a work around that worked for me. If you rotate your device from vertical to horizontal so that it flips the text it actually corrects itself. Same for flipping from horizontal to vertical. This won't work if you have rotation lock on.

Hope this helps someone or maybe at least helps debug the problem.
mattaca

Same problem in iOS 4.2.1

Post by mattaca »

Same problem here. I have a 3rd gen iPod touch running 4.2.1 and am seeing exactly what was shown above in the first screenshot. Reverting to default settings did not clear the problem. It definitely seems to be a problem with devices running the older OS. I'm seeing it on everything but the menu screens. In other words, all content (scriptures, hymns, manuals) is completely unreadable. Please release a fix for older users ASAP!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

zythra wrote:I did however find a work around that worked for me. If you rotate your device from vertical to horizontal so that it flips the text it actually corrects itself. Same for flipping from horizontal to vertical. This won't work if you have rotation lock on.
Brilliant workaround. Glad you discovered it. And you can start vertical, flip to horizontal, and back to vertical again if you prefer that format. Once you flip the first time, the resulting download and display works just fine. (Except for the wide margins.)

It must be a problem with the initial load from the menu that goes away with the flip.

Ok. I am temporarily happy again. I can even access the latest conference talks and the new George Albert Smith lesson manual.
free2run

Thanks!

Post by free2run »

zythra wrote:If you rotate your device from vertical to horizontal so that it flips the text it actually corrects itself. Same for flipping from horizontal to vertical. This won't work if you have rotation lock on.

Thank you for discovering that! Unfortunately, every time I go to another chapter, I'll have to flip and flip again, but it will have to do until the next update.
zythra

Post by zythra »

free2run wrote:Thank you for discovering that! Unfortunately, every time I go to another chapter, I'll have to flip and flip again, but it will have to do until the next update.

Oh nuts, well that's a pain! Hopefully they'll get a new release out for us soon.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

zythra wrote:Oh nuts, well that's a pain! Hopefully they'll get a new release out for us soon.

Well, yes. But it is a whole lot better than having nothing at all. I can leave my paper home again.

By the way, I reported your find to the feedback e-mail address, hoping it will help them troubleshoot. I figured twice would be better than none if you had already reported it.
free2run

Post by free2run »

lajackson wrote:Well, yes. But it is a whole lot better than having nothing at all. I can leave my paper home again.

True story!
zythra

Post by zythra »

lajackson wrote:Well, yes. But it is a whole lot better than having nothing at all. I can leave my paper home again.

By the way, I reported your find to the feedback e-mail address, hoping it will help them troubleshoot. I figured twice would be better than none if you had already reported it.

Definitely better than nothing!

Thanks for reporting it, I'm new to the forum and didn't realize you could do that.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

zythra wrote:Definitely better than nothing!

Thanks for reporting it, I'm new to the forum and didn't realize you could do that.

There is an e-mail address to use to send bug reports.
gospellibrary-iphone@ldschurch.org
There is a similar address for other types of mobile devices.

I keep it in my home computer address book, because it seems every time I need it, the app is not working and I cannot get to it on my iTouch.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”