Sync Between iPhone, iPad and lds.org?

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
mikekelly

Won't sync

Post by mikekelly »

Two weeks ago, my iPad stopped syncing with LDS.org. It now says I have over 2000 items to sync and that the last successful sync was in Dec. of 2000? I've tried uninstalling, you name it, but it won't sync anything to my study notebook. Any ideas?
Naf623

Post by Naf623 »

I just fully uninstalled everything from both my iPhone and iPad; reinstalled the lot, deleted everything in my study notebook on LDS.org and started reinstalling from scratch.
Once installed I set up sync (via the prompt that comes on first startup); installed all of the scriptures etc. again and checked what the sync screen said. It indicated "0 changes pending since last successful sync at 1 Jan 2001 00:00:00" on both devices.
I proceeded to mark a different scripture on each device and see what changed:
Romans 1:16 on the iPhone, there are now "3 changes pending since last successful sync at 1 Jan 2001 00:00:00"
D&C 76:22-24 on the iPad: there are now "7 changes pending..."
Pressing the "sync now" button does nothing at all.
Naf623

Post by Naf623 »

Further testing:
I closed the apps on both devices fully and reopened. Internet was used briefly, and the iPhone changed back to "0 pending..."; no change in the iPad's "7 pending...".
Online both highlights appeared in My Study Notebook.
Testing in reverse;
I created a journal entry (the only thing i seem to be able to do online from my iPad, can't tag or highlight scriptures?) online, reclosed both apps and reopened. Internet used again: the iPhone downloaded the journal entry I made online, but not the marking from my iPad: even though both appear online, the iPad downloaded neither.
Next step: device created journal entires... Stay tuned...
Naf623

Post by Naf623 »

Created a note, a link and a tag on each device, made sure both had synced.
All of these appeared correctly online: iPhone correctly states "0 pending...", iPad now has 13...
Re-synced (iPhone synced first, so the iPad's stuff wasn't online then, just checking all angles), still nothing moves between devices.
I noticed a previous post indicated it took a number of days for items to get from one device to another, so I will leave it just so, and see...
Reece

Post by Reece »

Mine seems to be working ok. It does take a little bit of time but I have found that making the changes on my lds.org account first makes it go to my iPad faster than the other way around. Hope that helps.
Naf623

Post by Naf623 »

Just over two weeks on, and no change: nothing further has been synced (I have made no new alterations) from/to any device. Looks like the 'wait a while' idea doesn't work either.
djdinut1

Post by djdinut1 »

My iPhone 4S has not synced with My Study Notebook on lds.org since Oct. 2011. My new iPad 3 will not sync either (I downloaded Gospel Library yesterday and no sync has taken place. What is the deal with this app?
cmacfarlane

Sync test

Post by cmacfarlane »

I found this thread when looking for a solution to my calendar syncing problem so thought I should check how the gospel library was syncing for me. Here's my results:

1. Checked the iPad and things looked to be syncing correctly. Last sync was earlier today when I used the scriptures in church.

2. Checked the iPhone and it said it hadnt synced since Jan 1, 2000. Humm do I have the same problem? Tried to manually sync - no go. It didn't do anything.

3. Back to the iPad: I marked a scripture and out a tag on it as well. Manually sync and it appeared to work as it should.

4. Back to the iPhone: tried a manual sync and no luck same as before.

5. On the iphone I pressed the "sign out" button which cleared my credentials. Then re-entered my lds account credentials and pressed "log in" (or whatever that button says). I got a popup message stating that login was successful and that changes would sync.

6. I manually synced and it appeared to update correctly. A quick check of the scripture I marked in step 3 above and yes indeed it had synced to the iPhone correctly.

7. Marked a scripture on the iPhone. 1 change pending. Tried a manual sync and it didn't do anything. I force closed the app, went back in and it did the sync itself. 0 changes pending.

8. On the iPad I checked the verse marked in 7 and the mark was there.

Everything seems to be working again after I signed out and then back in again.
brentririe

Post by brentririe »

Perhaps it would be helpful if someone from the Church who has responsibility for this area can articulate what plans are in place so we are not all guessing how it is suppose to work. Generally, my synching works, but I am struggling with the synching of notes. When I attach a note to a scripture or conference talk in Gospel Library using my iPad or iPhone, I would expect it to show up when accessing such scriptures or conference talks on LDS.org - but they don't. I love knowing, in the context of a scripture or talk, that I have made a note or other annotation - a link or tag - and can choose to open it there. Will this same feature be available within LDS.org - in other words, will I be able to access my notes right in the context of the scriptures or conference talks if I have put them there? This seems critically intuitive and necessary.
krk22

Re: Sync Between iPhone, iPad and lds.org?

Post by krk22 »

I too would like help with this. I too am getting the "changes pending since last successful sync at Dec 31, 2000" message on the sync page of the GL app.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”