iPad Version

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
sirbryan

iPad Version

Post by sirbryan »

I know there is interest in an iPad version, and have a feeling it's not matter of if, but when, once the iPhone version gets more refined. At the same time, after looking at the code, my initial impression is that the two could fork relatively easily because of the real estate and capabilities of the larger device.

I don't know if there's a better forum for this (i.e. an existing email list, the Wiki, or somehow via JIRA), but I was hoping to get a glimpse of existing porting plans from the iPhone developers, if any. In other words, I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone's started carving it. If not, I'd like to be a part of the dialog.

As for my own tinkering, I've grabbed the latest trunk and am toying with a variety of ideas. The first attempt (for educational purposes, mainly) has been to make the existing app work as-is, only bigger (i.e. not 2x mode); but, not being familiar with some of the initial UI design, I've run into window size calculation confusion. A second, longer-term plan is to try putting the index into the new split view controller layout, but that requires peeling part of the ReaderVC away.

Has anyone else gone this far or beyond?
BellMR

Post by BellMR »

Any update on this, official or otherwise? I'm not an iOS developer, but it seems that a fork wouldn't be needed if done correctly. I have the same install of the IMDB app on my iPod and my wife's iPad; the display is much different an appropriate for the larger screen. Without looking at the code to see how flexible it has been written, I'm guessing it just needs a different presentation layer on top of the existing functionality with a simple check as to how it should present itself.
zevlag

Post by zevlag »

In June an official iPad version was released as a new app.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”