Gospel Library 5.0 for iOS

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Gospel Library 5.0 for iOS

Post by sbradshaw »

Gospel Library 5.0 for iOS has been released and is available on the iOS App Store. Here are some of the changes:

NEW:
• Added chapter grid for quicker navigation in the scriptures.
• Added Speakers and Topics tabs in the General Conference section.
• Added speaker names to subtitles for general conference talks in search, bookmarks, notes, etc.
• Reduced the size of the app by downloading and storing content more efficiently.
• Improved process for creating, editing, and removing cross-reference links.
• Updated verse call-out style when following links.
• Updated Downloads section in Settings to manage downloaded books and media.
• Consolidated the two back buttons into a single back button in the top left.
• Added long-press to the upper back button to show navigation history.
• Moved Settings to the bottom toolbar for easier access.
• Added in-app form for sending feedback (under Settings).
• Simplified items displayed in Settings section.
• Added support for universal links using Gospel Library Online URLs.
• Reduced time for search results to display.

FIXED:
• Bug where downloads timed out too quickly on a slow internet connection.
• Bug where downloaded videos didn’t always play offline.
• Bug where audio didn’t resume correctly after a phone call.
• Bug where highlighting and tagging was sluggish for users with a lot of annotations.
• Bug where URLs in personal notes didn’t work correctly as hyperlinks.
• Bug where following a link caused the sidebar to close on an iPad.
• Bug where the app remembered your scroll position when returning to a chapter months later.
• Bug where bottom toolbar reappeared after switching chapters in full screen mode.
• Bug where a missing quotation mark in an exact phrase search caused the app to crash.
• Bug where separator lines were appearing in the right column when viewing personal notes.
• Theme colors in several places.

Gospel Library 5.0 for iOS requires iOS 10 or greater. It uses a new content version (separate catalogs for each language, more efficient packaging/compression for books, and more efficient packaging for fonts and stylesheets). The previous content version (which was introduced in December 2016 with Gospel Library 4) will continue to be supported for the foreseeable future (at least until mid-2019), for those users on older devices.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
techfort

Re: Gospel Library 5.0 for iOS

Post by techfort »

I personally love The new library app but a friend has an older iPad and can’t download any LDS apps. They complain that it requires IOS 10. How do I get legacy versions for her old iPad or is she stuck? She’s a bit older and her daughter have her her old iPad which will only reach 9.3 with updates
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

thetechfort wrote:How do I get legacy versions for her old iPad or is she stuck? She’s a bit older and her daughter have her her old iPad which will only reach 9.3 with updates
If she goes to the App Store, the most recent version of Gospel Library that supports her iPad will be available to install (if she's on iOS 9.3.5, that's Gospel Library 4.4.0 for iOS).
adamteichert

Post by adamteichert »

If she goes to the App Store ...
I don't believe that this is universally true, that people can install the newest version compatible with their device. As I understand it, the older versions are only available if you have successfully installed some version of the app with your apple account, sometime, on some apple device. If you have done so, it seems that Apple allows you to install the newest that is compatible with your device, but I think that those of that are starting out on apple with an outdated device that is incompatible with the newest version (ie no ios10) are currently out of luck. Anyway, I don't have the option to install once I sign into my new apple account on my new-to-me old phone (iphone4) If there is a way, please let us know. Thanks!
richalger

Post by richalger »

I installed a previous version of the Gospel library on my iPad (iOS 9.3.5). I uninstalled it because the newest General Conference content was not showing up. I thought if I reinstalled, it would show up. The app store is not giving me the option to install a previous version. If anyone knows how to do this, or if the church can change a setting to allow installing it on older devices, this will help me.

Thanks
richalger

Post by richalger »

In the meantime, you can go to https://www.lds.org/study/lib?lang=eng and get a similar experience. Though the night time theme of the Gospel Library is easier on my eyes.
And you cannot download content for offline use.
flakefamily

Post by flakefamily »

richalger wrote:I installed a previous version of the Gospel library on my iPad (iOS 9.3.5). I uninstalled it because the newest General Conference content was not showing up. I thought if I reinstalled, it would show up. The app store is not giving me the option to install a previous version. If anyone knows how to do this, or if the church can change a setting to allow installing it on older devices, this will help me.

Thanks
The same thing happened to me and I would love help!
michaelbuhrley

Post by michaelbuhrley »

Mother-in-law's iPad is in the same situation and can't get the prompt to install previous version in the app store.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

richalger wrote:I installed a previous version of the Gospel library on my iPad (iOS 9.3.5). I uninstalled it because the newest General Conference content was not showing up. I thought if I reinstalled, it would show up. The app store is not giving me the option to install a previous version. If anyone knows how to do this, or if the church can change a setting to allow installing it on older devices, this will help me.
Which generation/type of iPad do you have? Are you on the latest version of iOS that your iPad supports? Are you signed into the App Store with the same Apple ID that you used to install Gospel Library before? What happens when you try to install the app again? Does it give you a message? Is there a cloud/arrow icon, or a Get icon, on the store listing for Gospel Library?
joannlarsen

Post by joannlarsen »

I am using an Ipad mini, with updated software ios 9.3.5. I am still showing the Gospel Library icon with the gold angel Moroni. I do not show the April 2019 General Conference.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”