Audio playback not working on iPhone

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
craigmadsen

Audio playback not working on iPhone

Post by craigmadsen »

I’m having a problem where the app. will not playback books. If I choose a book, say, the Book of Mormon, and then I tap the headphone icon near the upper right portion of my iPhone, it gives me two options: “Remove Audio (859.2 MB)” and “Cancel”. So that tells me that hopefully I’ve download the BOM. If I then choose, say, 1 Nephi, and do the same thing, I get the same two options but the audio is now only 78.4 MB. So if I then choose 1 Nephi 1, it shows the words, etc. and has the little gold headset icon towards the bottom-middle of the screen. Now, when I tap on this icon, I get a little popup that has a trash can, two icons to go forward/backward 10 seconds, the “Play” button and the “…”. You would think if I now tapped on the “Play” icon (grey arrow pointing to the right) that the app. would start reading the book, but nothing happens at all! The scroll bar doesn’t move, etc.

The other thing that I’m not quite understanding is WHY do I have to select a specific verse before I ever see the the popup that has the various icons? What if I wanted it to play the whole BOM? From what I can tell right now, assuming it did speak the content, is that I would have to choose every chapter one-by-one!!

I’m running this on an iPhone 6+ with IOS version 10.3.3.

Thanks,

Craig
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Audio playback not working on iPhone

Post by sbradshaw »

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly, to try to play downloaded audio. Are you able to play audio that isn't downloaded? How about if you delete and re-download the audio for a chapter? Have you changed the "main voice" setting for audio at any point (three-dots menu on the audio player brings up audio settings)? Sometimes downloading audio for one voice, then trying to play audio for a different voice, can cause weird things to happen.

You may want to send a message via in-app feedback (under Settings) – that will reach the Gospel Library support team, and it'll attach some info about your device that might help them debug the issue.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
craigmadsen

Post by craigmadsen »

If you're asking about download music, then yes, I've downloaded a bunch and it plays just fine. If I click on the three-dots, it just shows a 1x playback speed, Continuous Play is on, and Main Voice is Male and I haven't changed it. Though I just tried changing all these settings and it made no difference, but I have set them back to what they were.

I have sent them a message as per your option above.

Thanks!
shortkozmo

Post by shortkozmo »

I have the very same issue when th my 8+ iPhone.
kjjohansen@gmail.com

Post by kjjohansen@gmail.com »

I cannot get the scriptures to play audio on my iPhone 8+. I have run all updates.
marshallbuckhoff15

Post by marshallbuckhoff15 »

I had this same problem on my iPhone XR, but when I switched the main voice back to female from male it plays just fine. Hopefully that works for y’all.
scburg66

Post by scburg66 »

marshallbuckhoff15's solution of changing the main voice to female worked for me. When I change it back to the male voice it does not play. I am on an iPhone XS App version 5.2.4 11127. I have all audio for the gospel library downloaded to my phone. Not sure if the app developers are aware of this issue but it seems to be a repeatable issue in the app.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scburg66 wrote:Not sure if the app developers are aware of this issue but it seems to be a repeatable issue in the app.
Please let the developers know by sending feedback through the app. They probably will not find out any other way.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

scburg66 wrote:marshallbuckhoff15's solution of changing the main voice to female worked for me. When I change it back to the male voice it does not play. I am on an iPhone XS App version 5.2.4 11127. I have all audio for the gospel library downloaded to my phone. Not sure if the app developers are aware of this issue but it seems to be a repeatable issue in the app.
Which audio do you have downloaded – male or female?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”