Play audio scriptures offline

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
deansprague

Play audio scriptures offline

Post by deansprague »

I downloaded the Book of Mormon audio using the gospel library app on my iPhone. But I can't find a way to use the downloaded content. When I bring up the gospel library app and play the scriptures using the controls at the bottom of the screen it works fine as long as I have a cellular connection but when I lose coverage the scriptures stop playing.

This leads me to believe that I'm streaming the content, not playing from a local copy. Is there a Gospel Library control that directs the playback to the local copy in stead of streaming? Should I use a different app instead of Gospel Library? Where is the content stored on my iPhone so I can access it with the built-in iBooks app or something else? Are there 3rd party iPhone apps that will play the audio scriptures?

Thanks

Dean Sprague
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Play audio scriptures offline

Post by sbradshaw »

Do you see the chapters you downloaded under Settings > Downloaded Media?
Did you switch to a different audio voice after downloading the scriptures?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
deansprague

Post by deansprague »

No there is no downloaded media under settings (At least I can't find it) my iPhone 7 is running IOS10.2.

No I haven't switched voices ever. But what I downloaded was the audio not the text. So I would not expect text-to-speech to even enter in here.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

There are two sets of audio recordings / voices for the English scriptures – one set has a male narrator as the main voice, and the other has a female narrator as the main voice. The voice can be chosen by clicking the more options ("...") button in the audio player, if you're running the latest version of Gospel Library. If you downloaded all of the male recordings, then switched your audio setting to the female voice, it may cause the non-downloaded female recordings to stream. It doesn't sound like that's the case for you, though...

What version of Gospel Library are you running (it should say under settings)?

If the audio you downloaded doesn't show under Downloaded Media, chances are that either an update cleared the downloaded media, or the download never completed. In either of those cases, you may need to download the audio again.
jetmom7lds

Post by jetmom7lds »

I have the latest update for Gospel Library app on my Android. I downloaded the audio scriptures and Ensign mag. Used the "downloaded media" option within "settings".

I was in my car all day. The so-called download used ALL my month's data in one day!! Am I wrong to expect a "download" to playback off-line? What gives?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Are you able to play the audio in airplane mode? If not, then it didn't finish downloading or something went wrong with the download process.
lunicrax

Post by lunicrax »

I have exactly the same problem! Did this ever get resolved?
mikechapple

Post by mikechapple »

I have the same issues as described in the previous posts, I am running a Samsung S9 with the latest Gospel Library. It seams like it will only stream to audio I have tried everything. Is there an answer?
Incomplete down loads seam to be the general explanation, I dont buy it! I've tried over and over with no success.
JudithCJohnson

Post by JudithCJohnson »

I have the same problem. I only have the text to speech option when I'm offline.

Please could the app be modified to enable listening to the recordings offline?
SuperKidsNurse

Post by SuperKidsNurse »

My desire to play these scriptures downloaded is also huge. But I do not want the male/female voice that seems too monotone for me. Yes, they have programmed them to say liahona and Nephi correct..... but the previous readers read with emotion, such that it really enabled me to see what's going on and feel the spirit strongky. I have struggled spiritually since these were replaced by thec2 voices. Ice tried changing pitch and speed, but bone if that has the same power as the ones used po PRIOR to this. I can get then, but they will not play inside lds gospel library.
I can't imagine im the only one who has been affected this way by this change. Can't uppity Gibbs members the option? Surely they can choose what's best for them?

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”