Notes go with which verse?

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Notes go with which verse?

Post by lajackson »

andyrosenberg wrote:I sent in the message an hour and 1/2 ago yet I see that the attachments are "Not downloaded yet"
To answer your question and close the loop for others, attachments can be opened and viewed without being downloaded. And in that case, the download counter would not advance. As you have probably surmised by now, your attachments have, in fact, been viewed.
sharirosenberg

Post by sharirosenberg »

To answer your question, I signed out and force quit the app on both devices, signed out on LDS.org, and then opened and signed in each of them.

Some of the notes do sync, and tests with entering and deleting new material seem to work.

However, despite the process of signing out, quitting, and signing back in , there are still some errors that seem imbedded.

For example, in 2 Nephi 15, here is what is displayed in LDS.org
Screen Shot 2 Nephi 15.png
(107.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet
In verse 26 the highlight here is "he will lift up an ensign to the nations from far, and will hiss unto them from the end of the earth; and behold, they" whereas on her iPhone and iPad it's "he will lift up an ensign to the nations from far, and will hiss unto them from the end of the earth;"

In verse 28 "horses’ hoofs shall be counted like flint, and their wheels like a whirlwind, their roaring like a lion." is underlined on here iPhone and iPad:
2 Nephi 15 iPad.png
(619.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
but as you can see from the above attachment, it is not highlighted at all on LDS.org. However if I use the LDS.org Notebook search, the note and tag are there:
Screen Shot Notebook.png
(365.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
So I'm open to any suggestions as to how to reconcile these quirks that avoid going highlight by highlight, note by note, and tag by tag as my wife has 2906 notes - yikes!

Thanks!

Merry Christmas!!!
andyrosenberg

Post by andyrosenberg »

This last post was a response from andyrosenberg posted on Shari's account - it's her iPhone/iPad/LDS.org where we're seeing the issues...
abujnowski

Post by abujnowski »

I have an issue I have noticed. When I add a note to a verse by clicking on the verse itself and clicking on the "Note" icon in the menu bar, two notes are added. They have different dates; there is an older date on one note and today's date on th othe note (I am assuming that the older date is when the verse was originally highlighted). The text of both notes are identical.

This does not occur when I edit a note after clicking on the note icon and then hit the three dots at the top of the note on the right hand side of the new pane and click "Edit note". It only happens when I click the note icon in the menu bar.
andyrosenberg

Post by andyrosenberg »

I have done several tests today, and continue to be perplexed at the inconsistent results. Sometimes highlights are transferred with the exact same words underlined. However, sometimes the underlining is misplaced a few words. This occurs both going from the iPad to LDS.org online as well as from LDS.org to the iPad.

Here are the discrepancies:
Genesis 1 verse 1 and 3 the words "In the beginning" and "the Spirit of God" were entered and highlighted on LDS.org - yet on the iPad "In the" and "deep. And the" are highlighted
Looking at verses 5 and 7 "And the evening and the morning were the first day." and "the firmament, and divided the waters" were entered and highlighted on the iPad - yet on LDS.org "evening and the morning were the first day." and "the firmament, and divided the waters which" are highlighted.

However, other highlights in these 7 verses are identical matches. All were entered in the last 1/2 hour as a test.

Here are the screenshots:
First from LDS.org
LDS.org.png
(143.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Next the iPad
iPad.png
(583.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
There is seemingly no rhyme or reason as to when this occurs...
andyrosenberg

Post by andyrosenberg »

Interestingly, I can replicate this issue on my devices with my LDS.org account, so I don't think it is a glitch in my wife's LDS account or devices.
I have an iPad mini 4 and iPhone 5s
My wife has an iPhone 6 Plus and an iPad 2
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

To clarify, you are no longer having issues with the Gospel Library app being out of sync between devices – is that correct? If that's the case, then no data is being lost – everything is synced – it's just a problem with how LDS.org is displaying the highlights. If so, then this bug will need to be reported to the LDS.org team. The best way to do that is by using the feedback link at the bottom of LDS.org. I've also sent feedback to LDS.org, but multiple cases from different users about the same issue will bring it to their attention more readily.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
andyrosenberg

Post by andyrosenberg »

I will report to LDS.org - though so far when I have reported to them they have never responded...

However, there are still issues between devices, either not syncing/losing info. On her iPhone we just changed in Isaiah 15:27 the "Title" in a 'Note" from the misspelled emboldened "Twelve wells if water" to the emboldened "Twelve wells of water" That properly was synced with her iPad and LDS.org.

We then deleted the the "Note" on her iPhone "Twelve wells" That phrase does not delete from either her iPad or LDS.org even after signing out and signing in to all 3 devices.

iPhone:
iPhone Isaiah 15 27 Dec 28.JPG
(341.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
iPad:
iPad Isaiah 15 27 Dec 28.PNG
(441.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet
LDS.org:
LDS.org Isaiah 15 27 Dec 28org .PNG
(308.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
LDS.org Notebook:
LDS.org Notebook Isaiah 15 27 Dec 28.PNG
(1 MiB) Not downloaded yet
LDS.org Notebook Isaiah 15 27 Dec 28.PNG
(1 MiB) Not downloaded yet
sharirosenberg

Post by sharirosenberg »

I finally figured out why for the last 4 months some of my notes randomly synced between devices and some did not (lds.org, iPhone, and iPad).

I never knew when I did a full sync from lds.org if all the entries from my devices would sync over or be lost forever, which caused me to stop entering any notes at all.

After a lot of testing and experimentation, here’s what I figured out.

I always include a title for a note with a few words, to make it bold and easier at see at a glance:
IMG_6333.PNG
(227.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
What I figured out is if a note has only a “title” it won't sync -- if a note has a “title” and “text” it will sync. And of course, a "text" only note will sync:
IMG_6334.PNG
(253.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Even if the text is only a “period” — it will work.
IMG_6332.PNG
(209.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I simply went back and added text to all my notes and everything synced! I hadn’t lost one!

I hope this helps someone from pulling all their hair out. Mine is almost gone. (Now growing back at magical speed.)

Please note that this does not correct the issue of underlines and highlights being displaced on lds.org from those entered on the iPhone on iPad. This only addresses notes syncing between all devices.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Ah, this is another Gospel Library 3 sync bug that was fixed in Gospel Library 4. I'm glad it's working!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”