Syncing Gospel Library across multiple devices...

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
remessel

Syncing Gospel Library across multiple devices...

Post by remessel »

Back in the day, when I first got an iPhone, after downloading Gospel Library, I never thought I would get an iPad or multiple devices on which to use it so I checked the box to decline synching across devices. Now that I have iPad mini, I would love to sync to that device as well and save my notes/bookmarks, etc. But I don't know how to change my original decision. Any ideas out there on how to do this?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Syncing Gospel Library across multiple devices...

Post by sbradshaw »

You can just sign in with your LDS Account under Settings, then it will sync all of your notes.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jwchasey

Post by jwchasey »

I have logged in on lds.org and can see all of my bookmarks and highlights there that I have done on my iPhone and iPad. However, neither my iPhone nor my iPad has synced with the same bookmarks and highlights I have made on each one of those devices to the other.

Any idea how I can correct this?
DHTreanor

Post by DHTreanor »

Same general problem: Windows 8.1 Gospel Library (GL) app, annotations not synching with GL on Android device.

It's interesting that the annotations I make on Android device WILL Synch to Windows 8.1 GL app, but not from Windows 8.1 GL to Android.

UPDATE: just discovered that if I log out of Android GL, then log back in (didn't have to close app), synchronization takes place (5-8 seconds), SUCCESS! Fully synched to Windows 8.1 GL annotations.

Thank you!
ebyers

Post by ebyers »

In my case, only some of my notations on my iPad make it to the LDS.org website notes. I have logged out of my iPad a number of times since I read that this might help, but still no syncing. Does anyone have any insight on this? I use the LDS.org website for some of my study and then my iPad for some so it is challenging when they don't sync. Thoughts anyone?
mjw8

Post by mjw8 »

I posted notes last week on my Windows version of the app, then tried to sync. The app didn't tell me it couldn't sync, so I tried syncing from the app on my Android phone, and it told me the sync was successful -- but the notes I had added via Windows did not appear on the phone. I finally realized I wasn't logged in on the Windows app, so I logged in and retried the sync. This time, the "last updated" date/time changed. Success! Or so I thought. Upon review, all my new notes on the Windows app had been wiped out. Today, I made sure I was logged in on the Windows app, added a note, successfully completed a sync there, and then synced on my Android phone, and the Windows notes appeared as hoped/expected. So, I entered a few more notes on my Windows app, synced them to the server, then synced my phone, and those new notes appeared on my phone as well. Then, I logged into lds.org and viewed some of my notes in the Notebook just for fun, thinking it would sure be great if I could view the notes in context with the scriptures online as well as via the mobile apps. I returned to adding notes in my Windows app, clicked Sync again, and some of my notes disappeared! So, it seems that last week's and today's experiences indicate bugs in the sync process. Does anyone have any better info or guidance on that?
aaronmswan

Post by aaronmswan »

Found this in another post and it worked:
I had a similar issue with mine, and found success with deleting the app, then re-downloading and signing in again
I think the issue is probably that when transferring to my new phone, some information was cached that made the app think the content was already sync'd.
djdickson

Post by djdickson »

The sync issue is still a problem. I have a copy of the Gospel Library on my Windows 10 desktop and on my iphone 6 - the iphone tells me that it "synched just seconds ago." and the Windows 10 version tells me it sync 1 minuted ago - and then when I log in to my LDS account on Chrome - I have three sets of markings. The ones that are on Chrome make absolutely no sense - random spaces are highlighted, important words dropped, just some "the"s marked. if we need to log in an out to get latest sync - seems there should be a better way to keep devices together.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

djdickson wrote:The sync issue is still a problem. I have a copy of the Gospel Library on my Windows 10 desktop and on my iphone 6 - the iphone tells me that it "synched just seconds ago." and the Windows 10 version tells me it sync 1 minuted ago - and then when I log in to my LDS account on Chrome - I have three sets of markings. The ones that are on Chrome make absolutely no sense - random spaces are highlighted, important words dropped, just some "the"s marked. if we need to log in an out to get latest sync - seems there should be a better way to keep devices together.
There's a bug currently on LDS.org where different words show as highlighted depending on whether or not the "Show/Hide Footnotes" option is on. That could explain why you're seeing words like "the" marked. When footnote links on LDS.org are on, in my experience, it matches what's highlighted in the app.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mrfew43002

Post by mrfew43002 »

I had lots of annotations on my iPod and when I got my new phone I would log in and nothing would appear so I logged out and logged in again and I waited. Under my username I saw syncing annotations ... and it wouldn't do it

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”