Deep linking in Gospel Library for iOS

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Deep linking in Gospel Library for iOS

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:Second, there are not 243 pages in PMG, so the real page number is going to be closer to 42 or 43 (just a guess, I don't have the book in front of me).
Actually, the PDF for PMG has 244 pages (not the numbered pages, which only go to 228, but the actual count of pages in the PDF). The following link will correctly go to the next to last page of the PDF on LDS.org:

https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/c ... f#page=243
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

"p245" refers to paragraph 245 on the content item (web page or Gospel Library "page").
I'm guessing that you need "/what-do-i-study-and-teach" in the URL, as lajackson mentioned.

To break it down:

Code: Select all

gospellibrary://
This tells iOS to switch to the Gospel Library app.

content
This tells Gospel Library that what follows will be a content location in the app you want to go to (as opposed to an action that you want the app to perform, like adding something to favorites or bringing up the share menu – I don't know if anything besides "content" is set up).

/manual
Part of the content item's "URI" uniform resource identifier. Indicates that it's a type of manual.

/preach-my-gospel-a-guide-to-missionary-service
Part of the content item's "URI" uniform resource identifier. The name of the manual.

/what-do-i-study-and-teach
Part of the content item's "URI" uniform resource identifier. The name of the chapter within the manual.

/lesson-2-the-plan-of-salvation
Part of the content item's "URI" uniform resource identifier. The name of the subsection within the chapter.

What's above will get you to the right page / content item. Everything that follows is "extra" information:

.p245
This tells Gospel Library to highlight paragraph 245 on the page.

?lang=eng
This tells Gospel Library to load the English version of the content, as opposed to another language.

#p243
This tells Gospel Library to jump down to paragraph 243, after the page loads.

Most chapters don't have subsections on separate pages, but Chapter 3 of Preach My Gospel is an exception. The Lessons within Chapter 3 are on different pages in the app so they have extended URIs.

To put it back together, this link worked for me:
[url]gospellibrary://content/manual/preach-my-gospel-a-guide-to-missionary-service/what-do-i-study-and-teach/lesson-2-the-plan-of-salvation.p245?lang=eng#p243[/url]

With the URI marked in bright green:
gospellibrary://content/manual/preach-my-gospel-a-guide-to-missionary-service/what-do-i-study-and-teach/lesson-2-the-plan-of-salvation.p245?lang=eng#p243
Last edited by sbradshaw on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sjuchau

Post by sjuchau »

I'm using GL, so the p links me to a paragraph number in the coding, not a page number on the PDF. Thanks, though! I'll keep trying.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sjuchau wrote:I'm using GL, so the p links me to a paragraph number in the coding, not a page number on the PDF. Thanks, though! I'll keep trying.
I have learned something new today (a usual occurrence, actually). So probably all you need is the Chapter 3 reference in the URL before the lesson-2- reference.
sjuchau

Post by sjuchau »

Thank you! The trick was what-do-i-study-and-teach. Thanks again for the help!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You're welcome!
sbradshaw wrote:"p243" refers to paragraph 243 on the content item (web page or Gospel Library "page").

.p245
This tells Gospel Library to highlight paragraph 245 on the page.

#p243
This tells Gospel Library to jump down to paragraph 243, after the page loads.
Actually, it looks like this is redundant in Gospel Library. if you just use the ".p245" Gospel Library will highlight and jump to paragraph 245. The "#p243" doesn't actually do anything in Gospel Library.

However, on LDS.org, ".p245" (highlight) and "#p243" (jump) are both needed if you want to highlight and jump. Note that it's usually good for the jump paragraph to be one or two behind the highlight paragraph on LDS.org, because LDS.org has a header bar that hides whatever's at the very top of the page. On Gospel Library, again, this is irrelevant.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

This blog post describes a trick for getting the URI of a content item:
Navigate to the content you want to deep link and take a screenshot. Gospel Library will ask you if you want to send that screenshot as feedback. Tap “Send” and a feedback email will appear, pre-filled with information the support team can use to help answer inquiries, including the current content’s path. Once you’re done you can cancel and delete the email.
dallanduggar

Post by dallanduggar »

Thank you for posting this thread. It helped me get the Launch Center Pro app on my iPhone all preloaded to quickly launch the Gospel Library and the Hymns. Does anyone know the main URL for the LDS Tools app? I tried ldstools:// but it is not working. I would love to have that URL so I can quickly launch to it in Launch Center Pro. Thanks!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Unfortunately the LDS Tools developers haven't implemented any deep linking. You can send feedback through the app to suggest it.
bensycamore

Post by bensycamore »

Does anyone know if there is a way to deep link to a specific bookmark?

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”