Deep linking in Gospel Library for iOS

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
bdurney

Re: Deep linking in Gospel Library for iOS

Post by bdurney »

Here's a link to a Sunday School lesson:
gospellibrary://content/youth/learn/ss/self-reliance/overcome?lang=eng

and here's a link to a conference talk:
gospellibrary://content/general-conference/2015/04/the-eternal-perspective-of-the-gospel?lang=eng

As I mentioned before, I was trying to use them in 1Writer. I don't know of other apps where I can easily test this kind of link.

Update: After posting this I looked at the original post in Safari on my iPhone. When I tapped on a link it asked me if I wanted to open the link in "Library" and when I tapped Open, it did it. I guess it's something with 1Writer.
bdm4

Post by bdm4 »

The issue is with 1Writer. I have logged an issue with the developer and they have acknowledged the issue is theirs. It should be fixed in a future update.

Brent
kb2001

Post by kb2001 »

sbradshaw wrote:This blog post describes a trick for getting the URI of a content item:
Navigate to the content you want to deep link and take a screenshot. Gospel Library will ask you if you want to send that screenshot as feedback. Tap “Send” and a feedback email will appear, pre-filled with information the support team can use to help answer inquiries, including the current content’s path. Once you’re done you can cancel and delete the email.
Has this changed? I took a screenshot of the current week of Come Follow Me, but when I said to Send, it brought up an email (just like it used to), but it was completely blank.

Is there still a way to get the URI of a content item??
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Gospel Library now supports universal links, which means that the same URL used to open the web page will also open the app, if you're on a device with Gospel Library installed. For example, here's the link to this week's Come, Follow Me lesson for individuals and families:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 0?lang=eng
If you tap the link on a device with Gospel Library installed, it will open into Gospel Library by default instead of opening in the web browser.

The easiest way to get these URLs is to go to Study.ChurchofJesusChrist.org and browse from there, then copy the URL from the navigation bar. Alternatively, from inside Gospel Library, you can use the "Share" feature to share selected text, or the full chapter – the URL will be included in the text that's shared.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
kb2001

Post by kb2001 »

@sbradshaw These universal links are just what I've been looking for! However, it's not working for me. Is it because I'm using Word? When I tap a weblink in an email, it opens in my Gospel Library app. But when I create a hyperlink in Word, save it as a pdf, then tap on the phrase in the pdf, it opens in the web browser instead of the app.

I am recently called as the ward Digital Bulletin Editor. It's going great--email links open properly in the email app and URLs open in the web browser. It was suggested to me to create "deep links" for Sunday School lessons and the hymns we sing in sacrament meeting. I've figured out how to get the proper URIs so that they open in the apps (both Gospel Library and Sacred Music) when tapped from an email, but Word doesn't yet seem to have a hyperlink function for URIs.

I know just enough tech to be dangerous, so if I've explained my dilemma clearly, can you point me in a direction where I can find these answers?
davidbcarter

Post by davidbcarter »

This may be totally wrong, but I wonder if it’s not a problem with the way links are stored in Word docs, PDF files, etc. At work, we’ve recently discovered that deep links into our web-based learning management system don’t work when clicked from a Microsoft Office document (Word, Excel, etc.) or a PDF file even though they work fine from an email. When we contacted the vendor, they looked into it and said it was a problem with the way hyperlinks were stores in those documents and there was nothing they could do about it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It wouldn't surprise me but any web links in documents go though a link handler in the reader for security screening rather than just blindly passed to the OS. It might be designed to make sure web links really go to the web and are not obfuscated links to local files.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kb2001

Post by kb2001 »

Aww, this doesn't sound good. If deep-linked text just won't work in Word, does anyone have any suggestions for linking to specific content in the Sacred Music app and Gospel Library from our digital bulletin?

If you want to see the bulletin itself, you can go to [*]

* The link to the bulletin has been deleted because it includes real names, phone numbers, and email addresses. This is a public forum.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

What app are you using to view the PDF? I emailed myself a PDF and a Word document with a link, and opened them in the Apple Mail app on my phone – the link opened Gospel Library from both the PDF and the Word document.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
smower

Post by smower »

Is there a way to deep link to a bookmark?
Also, the new widgets can link to the current Come Follow Me lesson. Is there a deep link that determines the current Come Follow Me lesson?

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”