Deep linking in Gospel Library for iOS

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
dthomaswright

Re: Deep linking in Gospel Library for iOS

Post by dthomaswright »

Love this idea. I can see so many uses for this as a teacher!! Hoping this becomes an easier process like mentioned above as adding a button/option to give you the link instead of creating it.
davidbcarter

Post by davidbcarter »

dthomaswright wrote:Love this idea. I can see so many uses for this as a teacher!! Hoping this becomes an easier process like mentioned above as adding a button/option to give you the link instead of creating it.
My wife is a youth Sunday School teacher, and she also is seeing lots of potential IF the process of acquiring/creating the link gets easier.
davidbcarter

Post by davidbcarter »

Got an email reply this morning from the Gospel Library Team about my feedback regarding GL having to be open for the deep links to work. They said it's a known bug and will be corrected in the next update.
mbpatte1

Post by mbpatte1 »

Hey, I've got the syntax down for all the scriptures, but I am struggling to get a deep link working with preach my gospel. I tried similar syntax to what is on lds.org for PMG, but I haven't figured it out yet for the deep links. Is there any syntax page for this? I couldn't find one. I'm currently using:

gospellibrary://content/missionary/preach-my-gospel-a-guide-to-missionary-service/lesson-1-the-message-of-the-restoration-of-the-gospel-of-jesus-christ?lang=eng

and I'm getting "Content Not Available". I double checked and I do have PMG downloaded in gospel library on the test device. Thanks!
davidbcarter

Post by davidbcarter »

mbpatte1 wrote:Hey, I've got the syntax down for all the scriptures, but I am struggling to get a deep link working with preach my gospel.
Try changing your "gospellibrary://content/missionary/" to "gospellibrary://content/manual/" followed by the rest of your link.
mbpatte1

Post by mbpatte1 »

@davidbcarter:

Unfortunately that was what I tried during my first attempt, I reordered it to missionary because the manuals section of gospel library doesn't contain preach my gospel anymore and I thought that could of been why it wasn't working.

I've also tried p-m-g, pmg, and a series of other combinations for the book name and no luck.
davidbcarter

Post by davidbcarter »

mbpatte1 wrote:Unfortunately that was what I tried during my first attempt, I reordered it to missionary because the manuals section of gospel library doesn't contain preach my gospel anymore and I thought that could of been why it wasn't working.
That's odd... I suggested it because that's what works for me. I've not tried your specific link, but this one works for me (as long as GL is already open in the background):

gospellibrary://content/manual/preach-my-gospel-a-guide-to-missionary-service/what-do-i-study-and-teach/lesson-3-the-gospel-of-jesus-christ.p16
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mbpatte1 wrote:gospellibrary://content/missionary/preach-my-gospel-a-guide-to-missionary-service/ [INSERT] lesson-1-the-message-of-the-restoration-of-the-gospel-of-jesus-christ?lang=eng
Well, for that one I have marked a place where you will need to insert:
what-do-i-study-and-teach/
between "service/" and "lesson-1 . . ." and it does have a .p1 at the end for the start of the lesson.

I can't help you with the overall link, though. Sorry.
davidbcarter

Post by davidbcarter »

Here's a working link to Lesson 1:

Code: Select all

gospellibrary://content/manual/preach-my-gospel-a-guide-to-missionary-service/what-do-i-study-and-teach/lesson-1-the-message-of-the-restoration-of-the-gospel-of-jesus-christ?lang=eng
Here was your link:

Code: Select all

gospellibrary://content/missionary/preach-my-gospel-a-guide-to-missionary-service/lesson-1-the-message-of-the-restoration-of-the-gospel-of-jesus-christ?lang=eng
The two differences were
  • you needed "manual" instead of "missionary"
  • you left out the "/what-do-I-study-and-teach/" portion
mbpatte1

Post by mbpatte1 »

That was it! I had not realized that the lesson section "/what-do-I-study-and-teach/" was required. And yes, it needs to be manual not missionary. Thanks for the help!

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”