Apple Watch

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
bobmylouga

Apple Watch

Post by bobmylouga »

Hey can we get Gospel a Library on the new watch - due out early 2015 - need to get the watch SDK!
bballrob

Re: Apple Watch

Post by bballrob »

Glad to see I'm not the only Apple fan boy on this forum. Did you order your new iPhone 6 Plus last night?
heyring

Post by heyring »

I will be receiving delivery of my Apple Watch in the next 2.5 weeks, How is the LDSTools Watch App coming?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Before the church goes to building an app for the watch, I think they'd want to see how widely used it is - as well as what practical things could be done with it. No doubt Apple will sell a number to the self-professed fan boys, but I think it remains to be seen how well it's adopted by the church members as a whole.

I'd also suggest that no development would happen until the developers have their own iWatch. And I don't think any of them get advanced units. So it will have to wait until it's available to the public.

I'd also point out that Android wear has been available for some time now, but I've not seen any suggestion that anything LDS is/has been developed for them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I agree with russellhltn that we're not likely to see anything anytime soon, but I'm interested in hearing your ideas of how a watch app could be uniquely used as a companion to the phone app, apart from just making a scaled-down version for a smaller screen. What unique features would you put into the app that would be especially helpful in a watch?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Most of what I can think of would be extensions of LDS Tools, not GL. Features I'd like is to see the name of the person calling me (if the incoming number matches a name in the directory). And an extension of the calendar so I can see upcoming events. On the GL side, there are random gospel messages. Or perhaps a scripture chase function where you quote a scripture and it finds the reference. In all cases, this may be more of allowing existing apps to talk to the watch rather than a true watch app.

Keep in mind that in most cases a wrist-worn device will need to use a connected smart phone for any data communication or to hold a database of any size. So the value of a watch app is for quick answers that save you from digging out the phone. Anything more elaborate - well, that's best on the phone anyway.

I've had a Microsoft Band since October, so I do have some experience with a smart watch.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
heyring

Post by heyring »

I would agree that the best use case for the Apple Watch or any other watch would be as an extension to LDS Tools. Some of the things that would be usefull would be.. Maps to find someone's home in the ward, HT/VT Reminders, Member Info such as Calling, Phone, Address (to maps) and LDS.or Profile Pics. You know.. I have a meeting in 5 minutes with Bro. Martin and I can't put a name to a face.. Quick tap of the wrist and there he is.. Now I feel better.. The church will likely get some fresh ideas from the commuinty as we will see LDS Related Apps being created initially, and as time goes on.
tree.bobby

Post by tree.bobby »

I would like to see a scripture or quote of the day app. And also watch faces when that is opened up - temples pics or quotes or something like that.
rklindquist

Post by rklindquist »

Remember that you can subscribe to Ward and Stake calendars already - https://www.lds.org/help/support/calend ... p?lang=eng

Once they sync with your paired iPhone, the Ward and Stake calendar events become accessible on your Apple Watch.
acmurray

Post by acmurray »

Not being able to listen to the scriptures/conference talks is the only draw back to when I go running without my phone with me. Gospel Library on the Apple Watch, with the ability to sync audio to the watch, would be a dream come true!

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”