V 3.4.5 Problems

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
djdinut1

V 3.4.5 Problems

Post by djdinut1 »

I am experiencing no end to problems since the V 3.4.5 update on both my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini Retina. I cannot use the app on either device without it freezing. When I then leave the app and come back to it, it crashes. I then restart the app and the same scenario repeats itself EVERY TIME I use the app on either device. I have deleted and reloaded the app multiple times on both devices. I have also deleted the app, rebooted my device, and reloaded the app with the same behavior immediately appearing. It doesn't matter if I'm signed into my lds.org account or not, the behavior is consistently the same. Also, while the GL app on my iPhone appears to be syncing with lds.org (my annotations show up in the app on the iPhone), the iPad will not and none of my lds.org annotations appear on the iPad. There must be a serious problem with the app update.
djdinut1

Re: V 3.4.5 Problems

Post by djdinut1 »

Bought new iPhone 6 and am having the same problems with Gospel Library on the new device as on the old ones. Three devices now, all with exactly the same problems. This is no coincidence nor device-specific problem. I've discovered that it must be an issue related to syncing with lds.org because when I am NOT logged into my lds.org account, the Gospel Library app seems to work fine; no lagging, freezing, or crashing. Also, annotations (highlighting) is much quicker and the app is more responsive. As soon as I log into my lds.org account, that is when all the problems appear. Might there be something wrong with my lds.org account to cause this?
chrisosterud

Post by chrisosterud »

It very well could be an issue with your lds.org account in which I'm not sure how u would get that resolved without having someone look into it, which who knows how long that might take.

First, are u still having issues after the 3.4.6 update?

I have two suggestions:

First, you could try logging into your LDS.org account on lds.org from your browser on a desktop or laptop and see if there is anything you can clear out (there is a place to edit/view all annotations). There is a trash folder that can pile up that I think you can empty. Maybe also search through a bit to see if there is anything under any of the categories that is weird or you want and try deleting it. Fyi, I'm not saying to delete stuff you want, just to clear out anything extra.

Second, did you setup your iPhone as a new device and manually download everything you want? I do this with all devices to start fresh rather than restoring from backup. Could be something weird with the backup if you're restoring.
djdinut1

Post by djdinut1 »

Same, exact problems since the V 3.4.6 update.
I followed your suggestion and went into the Notes section on lds.org account. I deleted the trash (had done so several times before over the last couple of weeks) and deleted any folders I had created under "Notebooks" and "Types." The only things remaining are, under "Notebooks," "All Items" and "Unassigned Items" which I assume are defaults. Under "Types," the only thing remaining are "Highlights" which, I assume, is a default. All my annotations are highlights (I have some notes associated with those highlights but all notes are first marked with a highlight). "Trash" indicates "(0)."
ONE BIG ITEM: I performed a test. I logged out of my lds.org account and then deleted the Gospel Library app from my iPhone 6 Plus. I then reloaded the GL app to the iPhone and signed into my wife's lds.org account. It worked flawlessly for the few minutes I experimented with it. It immediately synced and in the GL app's "Settings" window under her lds.org username, it indicated when the last sync occurred. I tested the sync by highlighting a scripture on the iPhone and verified the change appeared on my wife's lds.org account. I then highlighted a scripture on lds.org on my Mac and the change synced over to the GL app on my iPhone. So, it appears the app is working fine with my wife's lds.org account. I then logged out of my wife's lds.org account and deleted the GL app from the iPhone. I next reloaded the GL app onto my iPhone and logged into my lds.org account. The behavior is still as before; when the app tries to complete the initial sync with my lds.org account, it seems to stall. The GL app's Settings window is still indicating "Syncing Annotations" and has for 10 minutes now and, if the app's behavior is the same as before, it will continue to indicate that for hours to come. This is the same odd behavior as before.
It would be easy to say that there is something wrong with my lds.org account but it is equally plausible to think that it is the syncing interaction between the GL app and my lds.org account that is at fault, i.e. the app's fault, I mean.
Despite the fact that it may still be a problem with the GL app, who do I contact to find out about someone checking my lds.org account for an anomaly? Is that something that can be done?

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”