GL3 Search Broke

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: GL3 Search Broke

Post by aebrown »

McEwanBr wrote:I appreciate what you are saying but the point is that it is not getting directly to the scripture. This search has a "work around" like you've pointed out.
But you're including a search term that does not appear in the scripture. So at least from the example you've given, I see no evidence that there is a problem. You are searching for the term "man" in your search terms, but the actual text of Proverbs 23:7 is "For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he" (note that it uses "he" and not "man"). So it's not surprising that that scripture is not listed as a match.
McEwanBr wrote:But I've done other scriptural searches that have yielded nothing. I'm just trying to get some eyeballs on this issue so it can get fixed in a future release.
Perhaps you could share these other searches that have not yielded the results you expected. If there is a problem, having a concrete example would help.
McEwanBr

Post by McEwanBr »

Interesting catch, thank you.

This does point out why the searches are failing though. The search doesn't like partials.

Try searching: as thinketh

Or: eye needle

I know those partial searches used to work in a previous version but they don't now.

You would have to include phrase matches, like: eye of a needle ... to get Matthew 19 or: as he thinketh ... to get Proverbs 23:7 for example.

Hmmm. I wonder why they changed it?
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

Sorry, McEwanBr... I got caught up in how the search works for this one scripture and lost the original point. I've also had times when my search criteria didn't find what I was looking for. My experience in those cases made me suspect the search is topical or keyword driven, rather than a full text search. But that's only my suspicion, and this case doesn't help prove that (when I searched for "as he thinketh", it gave me Proverbs).

I'll try to remember some searches that didn't work for me and post them as examples (it's been a while since the last time I tried searching for something and couldn't find the match, but hopefully I will remember one or two)...

Liz
evalencia

Post by evalencia »

I am quite frustrated. I was searching for 'Ebenezer' and the gl3 search returned 0 results. Today I wanted to quickly locate the verse where tents were pitched when families listened to king Benjamin. I entered 'tents temple' and got 0 results.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

I wish I could help further, but I no longer have an iPhone. FWIW, GL 3 on an android phone finds several results for Ebenezer and 1 (in the index of the triple combination) for 'tents temple'. Hopefully more iPhone users can chime in and help the development team get a reproducible error (I'm a programmer, so I know that unless they can reproduce the error, they wont' be able to fix it). (NOTE: I have the entire library downloaded, and I'm sure you must have the content downloaded for the search to find anything there.)

Liz

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”