Deep linking in Gospel Library for iOS

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
leejj

Re: Deep linking in Gospel Library for iOS

Post by leejj »

Any update on deep linking in either iOS or Android?
oakb

Post by oakb »

I love the deep-linking feature, and only wish getting references were easier. For those on iOS and running Workflow (https://appsto.re/us/2IzJ2.i), I have developed a workflow that places the selected text (or as much of the selected text as GL spits out... sometimes only a couple words—appears to be buggy), a standard text reference, and links to both lds.org and GL—with the links in Markdown format—on the clipboard.

Please note that I used a kludge to grab verse number(s) from the text reference and insert them into the links. Since non-scriptural references don't include the paragraph number, it is currently impossible to include paragraph numbers in the links; however, the Debug examination method described elsewhere here can be used to acquire paragraph number(s), which can then be manually added to the links; at least the guesswork is removed from formulating the main parts of the links. :) My workflow can be found here:

https://workflow.is/workflows/8cd6af1b5 ... a84c420d80

-Brian
haileyjames

Post by haileyjames »

I'm trying to create list of the required readings for my institute class that would link into the app from an email or text message.

Questions:
-It is possible to change the text of the link so instead of the email/message showing [url]gospellibrary://content/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/18.10-16?lang=eng[/url] it would simply show DC 18:10-16?

-It this feature available for the students without apple devices? Or would I need to create a separate list of links that link instead to lds.org?

Thanks, and sorry if my questions aren't terribly clear; I'm really new to all this.

-Hailey
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Currently, these links don't work in Android; so you will need to include separate links to LDS.org.

As far as I know, texts don't support rich hyperlinks (for example, with a title different from the URL); but most email programs support HTML for sending rich hyperlinks by email.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
tracicot

Post by tracicot »

Is it possible to deep link to a bookmark? For example, I have a bookmark entitled Korean Reading. Can I create a deep link to open the app right to that bookmark? This would be an awesome feature for building some Workflows to dive into your scripture study.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Not that I know of, currently – though that'd be a great idea. You should send it through in-app feedback.
danhixon

Post by danhixon »

This is a great feature! Is there anyway to highlight a section that spans two chapters?

For example:
bofm/1-ne/1.18-20,2.1-4?lang=eng

Is there official documentation anywhere?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

danhixon wrote:This is a great feature! Is there anyway to highlight a section that spans two chapters?

For example:
bofm/1-ne/1.18-20,2.1-4?lang=eng

Is there official documentation anywhere?
It's not possible to highlight across multiple chapters. There isn't official documentation anywhere, unfortunately.
bdurney

Post by bdurney »

Has deep linking to the Gospel Library app changed for iOS 10? I updated my iPad Pro to iOS 10 and could no longer open links that had worked in iOS 9. The same links worked fine on my iPhone which was still on iOS 9. I use 1Writer to write lessons and talks and it's great to link to the Gospel Library app, but now it seems like that is broken.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Deep linking still works for me. Could you send me an example of a link that's not working?
Are you using the regular released version of Gospel Library (3.4.13) or are you using a beta? I know the beta for Gospel Library 4 has been flaky with deep links (this should be fixed before release), and also sometimes iOS routes links to the wrong app version if there are multiple versions of the app installed at the same time.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”