Sync setting

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sync setting

Post by russellhltn »

You may want to re-read Post #12. He did solve the problem and learned how to avoid it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
stevebenard

Post by stevebenard »

When I read post #19, at first, it seemed to suggest the same thing -- that the recent download of the updated app fixed the problem. But when I downloaded the new version of the app, the problem has continued. So the solution that seemed to work for that person, did nothing to solve the same problem on my iphone. But it could also be that their problem was solved with the earlier uninstall/reinstall they mentioned.

Comment #4 indicated that uninstalling and reinstalling the app didn't make any difference. So we have an impasse then.

I've sent a message asking for a clarification from both of them. Hopefully, this may lead us to the final solution in the next few days.

It's a shame to lose all my personalizations over the past two months needlessly. But even if I save the app and all data to my hard drive in an iCloud backup, the new install would have a later date stamp and would therefore delete all my updates in the past several weeks. I'm still hoping for a solution that doesn't involve data loss.
twsettle

Post by twsettle »

stevebenard asked me to clarify a little on what happened to me and where I am with sync.

Originally I was able to readily duplicate the issue of the sync not working by marking something that appeared to mark the whole item rather than just the first paragraph. For example, if I would book mark a conference talk, the highlight that you see when you bookmark something would highlight the entire talk rather than just the first paragraph. The other example that I gave on this was the title page of the Book of Mormon. Again, when I did the bookmark on the title page, the entire page was highlighted rather than the first paragraph.

Anytime I did this on my iPhone or my iPad, that device would no longer sync. It would say that it was a syncing but it never would. I would log out of the sync and log back in to try and force it and the little dialog would pop up telling me it was syncing, but it would never go away or sync. I left it all night once and it never synced. If I uninstalled the application and reinstalled it, then I could get the sync to happen again, but it was, of course, without the bookmark that I had created that caused it to stop. If I recreated the conference talk or title page bookmark again, then the sync would stop again until I uninstalled and reinstalled.

Somewhat recently, I don't know if the app was upgraded or not, but I know that something happened that I had to re-download all content. After that happened, the issue with the way the bookmarking worked on those previous places was resolved. It would now allow me to book mark a conference talk and would only highlight the first paragraph. The same occurred on the title page of the Book of Mormon. After this happened I have no longer been able to duplicate the sync issue on my devices.

I am speculating now, but I believe that I can't duplicate the sync issue now because I cannot duplicate the issue that caused my sync problems in the first place.

I hope this information is helpful. I don't know if it will prevent the need to uninstall and reinstall, but since I also use only he electronic versions to study, I hope it does for others that have had the problem for a while and would lose more than I lost.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

twsettle wrote:If I uninstalled the application and reinstalled it, then I could get the sync to happen again, but it was, of course, without the bookmark that I had created that caused it to stop. If I recreated the conference talk or title page bookmark again, then the sync would stop again until I uninstalled and reinstalled.
Did you ever delete that bookmark, and did it start syncing after that? Or was it a case of once messed up, it was always messed up?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
twsettle

Post by twsettle »

I am not 100% sure I remember correctly but I believe that even if I deleted the bookmark the sync wouldn't start working again. I never let it go long before removing and reinstalling. Patience is unfortunately not one of my virtues. Sorry I am not more help on that one.
dustingreen

Post by dustingreen »

Everything seems to be syncing now! I deleted the app on both my iPhone and iPad and reinstalled and everything is syncing both ways - from my devices to the website and from the website to my devices. I have deleted and reinstalled the app before and didn't get the same result; this time it worked; however, I did it just a little different this time. This time I deleted the app from both my iPhone and iPad at the same time and then reinstalled both of them. In previous times, I deleted one at a time and then reinstalled prior to deleting and reinstalling to the other device. I don't know if it was because of this that it worked, but nevertheless it is working!

P.S. sorry stevebenard for the delay - I replied to the private message instead of the forum.
stevebenard

Post by stevebenard »

This sounds like it may be a final solution then. I'll copy down all my bookmarks (there are many) and attempt deleting and reinstalling the app. I'm crossing my fingers...
I'll let you all know what the results are.
stevebenard

Post by stevebenard »

It worked! Great! I'm a happy guy!

But try to figure this out! I just went onto the LDS.org website and logged in. I went to check a bookmark, and ALL of the bookmarks I've created, right up until yesterday, were there. ALL of them! How could that be when my bookmarks and notes hadn't been synchronizing for the past two months! Could that be a miracle? At the very least, it's a tender mercy!

Thank the Lord that we live in a day of miracles and answered prayers!
koborn

Post by koborn »

I'm having the same problem... sort of. My iPhone syncs up with my online account, but my iPad only goes one way. If I take notes on my iPad, those will sync up to my online account, but If I take notes online, it does not sync up to my iPad. Is there a setting I'm missing or is this part of the same problem that others are having?
dustingreen

Post by dustingreen »

Sounds like the exact same problem I was having. Just uninstall and then re-install on your iPad. This should fix it.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”