Gospel Library for Android 2.0 released to the Android Market

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
jhardy355

Forced closures

Post by jhardy355 »

jasonhyer wrote:Some users appear to be having this problem. If you have a force close, check the contents of your sd card to see if you have a folder called "gospel-library". If you do, delete the folder and restart the app.

This has fixed the issue for a couple of people so far but we would like more feedback to see if this fixes the issue for others having the problem. Also, if you are unsure of how to look at the contents of the sd card, reply and we will post instructions on how to do so.

I too was having trouble with forced closures. I am using an HTC Aria. I downloaded all the files OK but while looking through scriptures, for example, if I tried to hit the back arrow or a bread crumb to go back to a higher level I got the forced close. So I deleted the gospel-library folder as suggested and restarted the app. This also required me to download and reinstall all the files again. Now I don't seem to be having the problem anymore.
laughing_elk

Post by laughing_elk »

BrumfieldAD wrote:Version 2.0.1 that we plan to release to the market soon should fix the issues we are currently aware of with 1.5.

If you would like to try out a beta of it please feel free to download here. Please let us know what you find.

Well, I downloaded the gospel library 2.0.1 beta and tried it out. It does seem to fix the crash that happens on starting the app in android 1.5. However, once you're past that, it's still really buggy and unstable.

I connected to wifi and started the app. It got the catalog page loaded, which was further than 2.0.0 got. I selected downloading all of the scriptures. Download and install took maybe 10-15 minutes. Indexing started, but then quit. It seems like the app launches another process (thread?) to do the indexing, and the indexing process crashed. The main app was still running. I killed the app and started it up again, and eventually it resumed indexing. Indexing took about an hour for the scriptures, during which time it slowed the entire phone down so much it kept dropping the wifi connection.

-The download status screen has display problems, the status bars appear over the top of the "while downloads are in progress" text.

-The search is not working. When I went to the search screen, it's supposed to show a list of books under the search box so you can select which ones to search in. Instead, it showed sort of a compressed version of the download bars. When I did a search it would only find words in the old testament, even though I'd downloaded all the scriptures.
Interestingly, when I switched back to android 2.1, and left the existing "Gospel-Library" folder in place, search worked fine.

If you were thinking of pushing this version out to the market to solve the problems that Android 1.5 users are having, please don't. This version still isn't working well enough to use, it needs a lot of testing and fixing still.
laughing_elk

Post by laughing_elk »

I've got a list of bugs and suggestions for improvement for Gospel Library for Android 2.0. Should I post them on this forum, or is there a better place?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

laughing_elk wrote:I've got a list of bugs and suggestions for improvement for Gospel Library for Android 2.0. Should I post them on this forum, or is there a better place?

The quickest and best way to report bugs is to e-mail:
gospel-library-android-group@ldsmail.net
kjpearce