Gospel Library for Barnes & Noble NOOKcolor

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
khfbornholm

Gospel Library for Nook Color

Post by khfbornholm »

I just updated my Nook Color to the new update 1.2. The full gospel library app that I have on my HTC G2 android phone is great, and it's the one app I really would like to see on my nook. Available epub versions of the LDS scriptures are lacking in all the features that make the android versions so helpful. The new OS is based on Android 2.2.

Exact figures are not available, but Barnes and Noble is said to have shipped about 5 million of the Nook Color units since its introduction last November, and the release of the update coincides with a new advertising campaign for the NC, plus a lot of favorable press coverage that will likely drive the numbers even higher.

The demand is building faster than Amazon did with their Kindle, so I would really like to see the Android team really pursue getting this app available for the Nook Color. I suspect that by the end of the year, Barnes & Noble is likely to have between 15 and 18 million units out there, so it stands a chance to be a close second to Amazon's Kindle in market penetration for ereaders, and is being touted as in inexpensive and viable tablet alternative to the iPad, without the monthly carrier charges.

As far as I have been able to tell, I can not sideload an apk on the Nook Color. It has to come from the Nook app shop, unless I root the device, and void the warranty.
jasonhyer

Nook Color 1.2 and GL

Post by jasonhyer »

I have also updated to the 1.2 version and it is nice that there is a market for apps. As soon as things calm down a bit from the 2.0 release of gospel library, we will try to have somebody look into what it will take to port the app into the Nook format for their app store.
Jason Hyer
khfbornholm

Post by khfbornholm »

jasonhyer wrote:I have also updated to the 1.2 version and it is nice that there is a market for apps. As soon as things calm down a bit from the 2.0 release of gospel library, we will try to have somebody look into what it will take to port the app into the Nook format for their app store.

Thanks, Jason. If needed, I would be glad to help with beta testing on a nook port of GLA 2.0. We just need to figure out how to sideload the apk on a non-rooted device. I participate in the B&N user forums, so I'll start dropping hints there as well.
jedrasy

Thanks from a non-tech savvy person

Post by jedrasy »

I have the nook color as well and am looking forward to have the Gospel Library. I wish I could contribute, but I am not programmar savvy. Thanks to all who work on LDS tech. :)
bnielson616

Worked Great on previous Root

Post by bnielson616 »

I'd rooted my Nook Color to access the pre-Froyo android and absolutely loved the Gospel Library. Of course 2.0 was only on for a few days before I had to wipe the device clean to install the 1.2 Nook Update.

My point is to say that Library 2.0 was working just fine on my nook (with soft keys) prior to the recent update.
irawilliamson

Post by irawilliamson »

I would love to add to this request.

Please see about added the gospel apps to the Nook color app store.
awbaird

yes please

Post by awbaird »

I am also anxiously waiting for Gospel library to be available for the NookColor as I am not willing to root my nook color so just have to wait for it to officially be available?
RyanHDC

Post by RyanHDC »

This app can not come soon enough for my mother. She just received the Nook Color for mother's day with the hope of having the scriptures on it.
jasondlewis

Gospel Library for Nook Color?

Post by jasondlewis »

With the new app store for Nook Color I would love to see someone port the Android Gospel Library to work on the Nook Color.
roncterry

Post by roncterry »

khfbornholm wrote:Thanks, Jason. If needed, I would be glad to help with beta testing on a nook port of GLA 2.0. We just need to figure out how to sideload the apk on a non-rooted device. I participate in the B&N user forums, so I'll start dropping hints there as well.

Likewise I would be glad to help with the beta testing of a Nook Color version of GLA as well.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”