Screen stays on forever

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
douglastc

Screen stays on forever

Post by douglastc »

The screen stays on all the time, won't timeout to turn off. If I don't remember to manually turn off my screen, or to switch out of the app, it will run down my battery. Current Android Pie and Gospel Library app.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Screen stays on forever

Post by sbradshaw »

This is by design – when you're viewing a chapter of content, the screen remains on. If you go to a different section of the app, or back to your device home screen, or manually lock your screen, it will turn off. You can send feedback through settings in the app (the support team keeps track of common feature requests).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd think what would be desired is a time specifically for GL. Long enough to read it, but short enough to turn off the screen should you fall asleep reading.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
shawmariajean35

Post by shawmariajean35 »

I also have the same problem.... I love to read my scriptures when I'm trying to get back to sleep. I quickly fall fast to sleep and my phone is on all night. Is there a setting button I can use to override this problem. Ps. I am writing this at 12:14 at night because I woke up and it is on. I don't fall to sleep if I start flipping through other junk.
Is it possible to override this with a setting button?

Sleepless without my scriptures.
Maria Jean Shaw
kkahara

Post by kkahara »

The same. I would like auto turn off in an hour or two of inactivity.
mdigi

Post by mdigi »

I actually prefer the current behavior (where the screen remains on indefinitely while GL app is the forefront app).

It's nice not having your study/train of thought/Sacrament Meeting talk/lesson/etc constantly interrupted by the phone wanting you to unlock it.

Frequently, I'll also leave the app open to play hymns and other media for extended periods of time in which I'm listening to the content, but am not in a position to physically "keep it alive" with touch input to prevent the app from locking the phone.

Another perk -- having the GL app open (with white background) works great as mild flashlight at night -- again, no need to continue tapping the screen while completing whatever task is at hand.

However, I can also understand that someone falling asleep while leaving the app open would be disappointed to find their battery exhausted.

Hopefully if a change is made to GL it's via a setting that allows the user to choose the current behavior vs. an automatic timeout behavior.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”