Gospel Library

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
jbasinger

Gospel Library

Post by jbasinger »

When using 'Gospel Library' I get a 'This action requires an internet connection. Please connect to the internet and try again.' message that persists when I leave the 'Gospel Library' app. The message displays on top of the keyboard making the keys inaccessible.

The 'Gospel Library' app should never 'require' an internet connection. I need to be able to use the app whether I have an internet connection or not !
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Gospel Library

Post by russellhltn »

Is this the first time GL has been opened since downloaded? If so, it will need to download the scriptures before it can do anything useful.

Otherwise, I'd suggest getting an internet connection and submitting feedback from within the app.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

That message usually appears when you have the "limit mobile network use" option turned on in Gospel Library settings, you're not on Wi-Fi, and you attempt to download a book or stream a video. It could also happen with an automatic content update if you are online to get the updated content catalog, but then go offline while it's attempting to download updated books.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jbasinger wrote:When using 'Gospel Library' I get a . . . message that persists when I leave the 'Gospel Library' app. The message displays on top of the keyboard making the keys inaccessible.
This, not the message itself or the connection requirement, is what really bugs me. The message stays up so long, blocking the screen, and does not go away when the app terminates.

When I terminate an app, I do not want to sit around for up to 30 seconds before the app remnants go away, especially when they are interfering with my ability to use the device.

I guess I should send feedback, but it happens so rarely, usually at Church when the servers are overloaded, that by the time I get home I have forgotten about it.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If it persists for a while, most likely the case is that you've downloaded an updated catalog, which tells the app that there are several books that need to be updated. Then, you go offline. The app then tries to update each book, and because you're no longer connected to the internet, the toast message appears for each book. The repeated toast messages look like a single message that's stuck. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the reason it doesn't go away even after force closing the app is because the app hands off downloads and notifications to Android to take care of – and Android keeps trying to do its job.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:I suspect the reason it doesn't go away even after force closing the app is because the app hands off downloads and notifications to Android to take care of – and Android keeps trying to do its job.
Fair enough. That would also explain why the length, while long, is not always consistent.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”