Kindle Fire not updating

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
mfurlong

Kindle Fire not updating

Post by mfurlong »

My Kindle Fire is not updating and I don't have the latest Ensign or the latest General Conference talks.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Kindle Fire not updating

Post by sbradshaw »

What version of Fire OS / Android is your Kindle Fire running? What version of Gospel Library do you have installed?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mfurlong

Post by mfurlong »

Fire OS 4.5.5.3
GL version 4.4.1.3
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Fire OS 4.5.5.3 is based on Android 4.4, so you should be able to update to the latest version of Gospel Library – Gospel Library 5.2.1. You'll need to be on Gospel Library 5 or later to get the latest content. Do you have any updates available in the Amazon Appstore?
mfurlong

Post by mfurlong »

That did it.
Thanks
RLBartholomew

Post by RLBartholomew »

I bought a Kindle Fire device in April 2013 ($267), mainly to use lds gospel library app. That app has quit updating content. For it to become up-datable, I needed to get a more recent update of lds gospel library. I deleted the old lds gospel library but cannot install the new version, maybe due to lockout since I’d previously ordered one and deleted it.

Julandy at Amazon said the new version of lds gospel library is not compatible with the 2nd generation device I have. Since lds gospel library app is gone from my device and my cloud, she said I cannot reinstall it, and the new version is incompatible. She emailed me a trade-in offer, as the only solution she sees is for me to get a new Kindle.

I've seen in an lds (ChurchofJesusChrist) tech Website that a person with an old version of lds gospel library was able to update their app. They had Fire OS 4.5.5.3 and GL version 4.4.1.3. My Kindle Fire is System Version: 7.5.1. A person at Amazon said my Kindle is much older than the Fire OS 4.5.5.3.

I see Gospel Library Dec 21, 2011 on Amazon but I seem to be locked out from ordering it for and re-installing it on my Kindle. I asked Amazon customer service about unlocking the restriction. They say to contact the Church at https://ue.ldschurch.org/mobile/gla/Advanced/index.html.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Fire OS version numbers are a little confusing. You can find a chart here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_OS#L ... S_versions

Fire OS 7.5.1 is a custom version of Android based on Android 4.0. The last version of Gospel Library compatible with your device was Gospel Library 4.2.3, which was released about 2 years ago (September 2017). Content updates for that older version of the app stopped just a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, there are a lot of development costs and technology tradeoffs associated with supporting older devices, and sometimes there are platform or security problems that prevent it entirely.

See this thread for more info: Supported Android versions for Gospel Library
RLBartholomew

Post by RLBartholomew »

Even if I can't get updates, it would be useful to have GL on my Kindle. Is there any way I can obtain and re-install GL 4.2.3 on my Kindle Fire? If I am able to get GL 4.2.3 installed, would I be able to update it to GL 5.2.2? Thank you.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”